VOGONS

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, all ! Decided to load some games on my Compaq Contura 410CX notebok (486DX2-50/12mb ram/1mbVRAM/TFT/720mb) Doom1 and 2 runs well on it, but Ultima VI that was released in 1990, when 486 were just conquring the market runs on it $%^$^%^^...ly slow ? Why ?

I took that notebook on vacation - have no other retro gear here, but when return will try that game on DX2-66 and other configuration, but anyway it seems strange... For example Ultima Underworld 1 & 2which are in full 3-D work fine on it, too ... But U-VI fails even to show animation normally ... Why ?

Reply 1 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure it's not running too fast? Ultima 6 is known to run too fast on anything faster than about a 25Mhz 386.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NewRisingSun wrote:

One known reason for this particular game slowing down is having selected Roland MT-32 music in the INSTALL program without having an original Roland MIDI interface.

I can second that.

A chance acquisition of a 486DX33 started my re-delving into the world of retro-computing after the better part of a decade. I soon realized that my partner's Roland digital piano had MIDI connectivity and GM (and indeed GS) support, so could be seen as a somewhat large SC-55 with built-in speakers and too many black and white keys. Of course, MT-32 isn't GM, but close enough to be worth a try. I'd never used MIDI with games before, so naievely hooked it up to my SBPro2-compatible Aztech 2316A-based card and assumed it would work. It did with some titles (eg. Colonization and Tyrian), but not with Ultima 6 - no music, and - relevantly - huge slowdown. No problems at all if I selected AdLib or PC Speaker.

The issue was lack of intelligent mode on the MPU-401-clone on the sound card. Loadin the SoftMPU TSR in Autoexec.bat solved it conveniently (and by loading it high it didn't even cost me any conventional memory). Later I got a real MT-32 and it works just as well, including the little messages on the screen.

So: not sure if that is your issue, but if you have an external MIDI device, use SoftMPU. If not, don't select MT-32 as sound. If you don't have MT-32 selected, you have some other problem.