VOGONS

First post, by BiggsDarkL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was watching a video of an MT-32 demo of SQ1 VGA on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dh6u5AYBlg&l … 528571222199413

This guy has an MT-32 running with SB effects. I'm running the exact setup yet, I'm getting the midi music but not getting the sound effects in the intro sequence. I.e. In his video, when the '1' in Chapter 1 fizzles and sparks start flying out of it you can hear the effects.

In mine, the effects are occurring through the MT-32 and sound weird (the music plays fine though). But when the game starts, the effects start playing properly through the Soundblaster (i.e. when Roger Wilco comes through the doors I can hear the door sound effect properly).

Are the effects in the intro sequence supposed to be played entirely off of the MT-32? What gives?

Reply 1 of 4, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
barbarianbros wrote:

Sound effects recorded from the emulated Dosbox Soundblaster16
Music recorded from a genuine Roland MT-32 (rev.0) device.
Soundblaster SFX are : insectoïd ship grab (2'50), doors (3'10), computer's voice (3'21)

I understand there are only 3 places with sb sfx

the '1' in Chapter 1 fizzles and sparks is not that place

Reply 2 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the 1 sign is supposed to fizzle, coming from the MT-32. The only reason that I can think of why it does not fizzle is that if your MT-32 received an Exc. Checksum Error or an Exc. Buffer Overflow, the sound effect has not been set up yet.