VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Homer J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get Realms of the Haunting working under WinXP Pro with VDMSSound. Can't start the game because it keeps asking for the CD. I uncommented the line in that AUTOEXEC.VDMS file for the CD-ROM extensions, but still no go. Can anyone help with what I'm missing here?

Reply 1 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get Update 1, the VDMSound Launchpad, and enable "Low-level CD-ROM Support (MSCDEX)" in that. Make sure that the CD is in your lowest CD drive letter (eg. if you have a DVD-ROM on D: and a CD burner on E:, put it in D and not E). Finally, try SaPu's MSCDEX. (Search for it.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 10, by roushimsx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just did a maximum install of the game and ran it with VDMSound (with update 1) to test it and it works fine. If you don't enable low level cd rom support, then the videos are a little jumpy. VESA modes seem to work fine. It looks pretty nice in 640x480.. i watched the introduction movies and then walked around the first few rooms for a bit.

bought the game off of ebay (new in the box) for like $3 a year or so ago and never got around to playing it. May have to correct that sometime soon 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by roushimsx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, i'll post whenever I can help 😀

About to go rip Pandora Directive and see how well it likes WinXP + Daemon Tools so i don't have to play musical chairs with all 6 cds.

I really should be kicking the crap out of the Portugese in Medieval Total War though. 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stumbled across this while I was mass-testing and found that basically everything works fine. I get a minor bit of clicking noise, but that could be my card. Even the 640x480 VESA works fine.

Reply 6 of 10, by Belgarath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ROTH also works for me in the sense the gfx and sound are all there, but something is seriously wrong with the controls, if i press a key to move it basicaly keeps moving me in that direction even when i let go and pressing the other keys does little to stop it whizzing around in 1 direction. this is under xp and it does it with or without vdmsound and with or without sound enabled
anyone got any ideas?

Reply 7 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ugh. I already put the CD's away. When I find them again, I'll give it another whirl. IIRC, I had come across this a few times myself. Vaguely remember making an adjustment. Perhaps keyboard repetition speed... Will get back with you later...

Reply 9 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Belgarath if i press a key to move it basicaly keeps moving me in that direction even when i let go and pressing the other keys does little to stop it whizzing around in 1 direction.

(I found my CD's) By chance are you using the "mouselook" option? I almost never had this problem while using the keyboard or the mouse.

I found, however, that when using both simultaneously (like in most 3D shooters) this "stuck-key" syndrome happened a lot. Very, very annoying. Only way I found around it was to bring up the settings window and redefine whatever keys were stuck at the time (you don't actually have to change them).

Apparently something about using both simultaneously is causing the program to get very confused.