VOGONS

Common searches

Redneck Rampage sound issues w/ W2K

Topic actions

First post, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recently purchased Redneck Rampage and attempted to run it on my PC that is running W2K Pro SP4. My sound is integrated into the motherboard and shows up as a CMI8738/C3DX in device manager. I cannot get the sounds to work at all which is a bummer b/c that is the best part of the game. I tried making all sorts of changes in the sound setup section, but can't seem to get anything aside from the soundblaster not responding on the selected port error. I do have a few other games on my machine that have no trouble w/ sounds, but I assume they are newer and not necessarily DOS based. Quake !!, Nascar 4, and Nascar 99 are the other ones that are ok w/ current sounds. Any thoughts as to what I can do to get some sounds out of the game?
Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you refering to the 8-Track option? If so post again.

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 3 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried VDMSounds yet? I used the default ports set to the SoundBlaster controlls in my setup and it work excelent as long as you dont want to use a controller as it causes a really nasty echo! 😀

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 4 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
waxxxz018 wrote:

Have you tried VDMSounds yet? I used the default ports set to the SoundBlaster controlls in my setup and it work excelent as long as you dont want to use a controller as it causes a really nasty echo! 😀

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Try this if you haven't......

Address is 220, IRQ 7 8-bit dma is 1, 16-bit is 5

Reduce quality. 22kHz, stereo, 8-bit, 6-voices.

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 5 of 27, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed the latest VDMSound. Ran dosdrv from command prompt first, then went to the setup.exe for redneck rampage. Made all of those settings changes that you suggested, and when I test the sounds, it just sits at initializing sound effects. If I just save the settings from the setup and launch RR, it sits at checking sound inits for a few seconds, then takes me to a black screen with some white dots here and there on the screen. I am quite unfamiliar w/ VDMSound, so maybe I am doing something wrong?

Reply 6 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't Run DosDrv! Thats unstable as VDMSounds runs on the programs files executables on its own in Windows. (I did the same damn thing though! 🤣 )

Go into your Rampage directory (C:\Program Files\Interplay\RedneckRampage) and rightclick Rampage.bat, you will see a VDMSounds selection.

Select it and run using the basic auto-configured setup. Save a copy when it asks ya to remember settings and save to desktop. that should do it! change the setup by right-clicking on the newly made icon and selecting Propertys.

if ya need more help check these links....

Emulation for Thought

thats got a couple of links through it too. Check into Ken Silvermans Vesa fix (NOLFB) & Simon's VGA Fix! with NOLFB the command can be added to your Rampage.bat to auto-start with it all by editing it with note pad and typing NOLFB on the 1st line and saving.

Well I hope ya get it goin as this is one of my fav. FPS of all time, so anything to help a fellow fan enjoy! 😀

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 7 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick Add- onto"waxxxz018"]Don't Run DosDrv! Thats unstable as VDMSounds runs on the programs files executables on its own in Windows. (I did the same damn thing though! 🤣 )

check out this for VDMSounds it's meant for the 2.1.0 beta but I bet it realitivley runs somewhat the same. its got great visual explanation.

A Biginners Guide to VDMSounds

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 8 of 27, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now I am on my pc at work, and I do not have the full game installed on this pc. I just put the demo on here to see if I could get that to work since my home machine and work machine are similar. Looking at redneck.bat though, (no rampage.bat) there is no section for VDMSounds in it. Here is what it looks like:
eregcard.exe
redneck.exe
Any thoughts?

Reply 9 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you trying to access through windows or DOS?

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 11 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did the same thing man, ya use explorer to access it and run VDMSounds. 😁 Now just right-click on Rampage.bat and choose Run with VDMSounds in the pop-up menu and choose basic settings to start and test.

😵 waxxxz018 😵

Reply 12 of 27, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok did that, and the game gets to the point of checking music and sound inits for a few seconds, then comes up to a full black screen for a second or two, then takes me to an inactive dos screen that is blank w/ a flashing cursor in the corner.

Reply 13 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

reply to - Ok did that, and the game gets to the point of checking music and sound inits for a few seconds, then comes up to a full black screen for a second or two, then takes me to an inactive dos screen that is blank w/ a flashing cursor in the corner.

Now you must Install the NOLFB Patch I mentioned above which can be found here - NOLFB

now take this patch and put it in your Redneck Rampage directory. open the Rampage.bat file with a text editor (notepad) and add type "NOLFB" on the top line, moving all the rest of the commands down a notch. Run again with VDMSounds & see if this helps.

Keep it up you will get it! 😁

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 14 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
waxxxz018 wrote:
Now you must Install the NOLFB Patch I mentioned above which can be found here - NOLFB […]
Show full quote

reply to - Ok did that, and the game gets to the point of checking music and sound inits for a few seconds, then comes up to a full black screen for a second or two, then takes me to an inactive dos screen that is blank w/ a flashing cursor in the corner.

Now you must Install the NOLFB Patch I mentioned above which can be found here - NOLFB

now take this patch and put it in your Redneck Rampage directory. open the Rampage.bat file with a text editor (notepad) and add type "NOLFB" on the top line, moving all the rest of the commands down a notch. Run again with VDMSounds & see if this helps.

Keep it up you will get it! 😁

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Run in 640*480 if you have Nvidia graphics board (I do)or install this VGAFix and it will stop the monitor from going into sleepmode if you set it to a higher resalution.

Reply 16 of 27, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe you should tell me what the redneck.cfg file should look like for screen setup. i had (w/out sounds turned on) this in the redneck.cfg:
ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
;ScreenWidth passed to engine
;ScreenHeight passed to engine
ScreenMode = 2
ScreenWidth = 640
ScreenHeight = 480
My video is nvidia geforce4 440 Go 64MB

Reply 17 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have NOLFB saved in Rednecks Directory, written onto Rampage.bat. and your running VDMSounds off the Rampage.bat using a right-click on it to open the pop-up menu all through windows and not cmd?

SoundBalster soundcards should be supported by this game according to Interplay Games, the creators. Are your soundcard drivers all up to date?

if you have the same config I gave you above & are running from VDMSounds through Windows, it should work. just go ahead and run it in 640*480 for right now until you get it emulated.

You'll get it, it took me a little while, but you will if ya keep at it! 😁

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Reply 18 of 27, by naps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes all that you have written down I am doing. The particular sound card that is in my work pc is a crystal wdm. driver version 6.13.10.4158. It says the driver is from '02, so I am going to find a more up to date one if it exists.

Reply 19 of 27, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
naps wrote:

Yes all that you have written down I am doing. The particular sound card that is in my work pc is a crystal wdm. driver version 6.13.10.4158. It says the driver is from '02, so I am going to find a more up to date one if it exists.

keep me informed by postin', I will keep looking into it now as it has become a quest for me too! 😁