VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Davoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running Windows XP Pro Edition, and for some reason, no DOS games I try will work on my computer. I've heard that some games don't work with XP, but the same thing happens with every game I try.

When I run the game(s), it starts normally: Good video, sound, etc. But then, anywhere from 5-30 seconds into the game, the program just quits back to the desktop. No error message (I unchecked "close on exit"), no warning, nothing. I've tried using DOSBox, VGMSound, compatability mode, everything. And still, no game works at all. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 3, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats strange... well I will suggest to Install PC-DOS 6.3 If thats too risky, then get a old computer that has a ISA soundblaster card so you can get proper sound in dos games. And if your planning to get a old pc, then make sure it has no operating system. then buy PC-DOS 6.3. Install that first. Then install Windows 95. doing that is going to make the pc be able to use both, windows and dos! And the place to get the operating systems is Ebay. If you don't like Ebay, then just get a computer with PC-DOS 6.3 and Windows 95 Included. Hoped this helped.

Reply 2 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Strange.
As far as DOSBOX (I mean the emulator, not DOS window in Windows!) is concerned: games are runned there completely separately from your hardware and Windows XP (everything is emulated), DOSBOX itself is just a normal Windows program.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 3, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This used to happen to me, as well. It also affected 16-bit Windows programs. I never figured out how to fix it, but, after reinstalling Windows for a completely different reason, the problem went away.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit