VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can wing commander II do digital speech with the Adlib soundcard?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not think so. IIRC speech required SoundBlaster and EMS for Wing Commander II. But it's a long time ago, so I might be wrong...

Also, AdLib and digital sound effects require quite a bit of CPU work, since it similar to PWM output on the PC speaker. Only few games allowed that, like Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. And I think a few Legend adventures used AdLib PWM for sound effects, which were few anyway.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 3, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

I do not think so. IIRC speech required SoundBlaster and EMS for Wing Commander II. But it's a long time ago, so I might be wrong...

Also, AdLib and digital sound effects require quite a bit of CPU work, since it similar to PWM output on the PC speaker. Only few games allowed that, like Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. And I think a few Legend adventures used AdLib PWM for sound effects, which were few anyway.

Speech on Wing Commander does require a Sound Blaster card.
As for PWM digital sound from an Adlib, I had never head of that until I played Star Control II. It also features that output mode, but as you stated, its VERY demanding on CPU resources and doesn't sound very good.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PWM audio requires a very high switching frequency to sound good. Some modern amplifiers use the technology to good effect, but when applied to Adlib or PC Speaker it will only ever be second rate.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder