VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to use the runtime version of an old expert system shell called “Crystal” by intelligent Environments to access some work i did in the early 1990’s. The runtime program invokes a “PCX.exe” program in addition to the crystal runtime file and i get an “insufficent memory” message from DosBox. I have max memory (63 mb) set in the config file. I know the Compaq luggable i developed this program on only had about 8 mb of ram and the laptops to which the software was deployed only had about 8 mb, so i am puzzled as to why memory is an issue.

Can someone give a tip as to what, if anything, i can do to make it work?

EMS and XMS are set to “True.” I am on Windows 10 with 8 gb of mem.

I received the same error message with Vdos as well.

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could be conventional memory, type mem and see how much u got of the 640kb
not sure how conventional memory works exactly in dosbox however

Reply 2 of 54, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sounds like a conventional memory problem (0-640K) not EMS/XMS

Programs sometimes malfunction in DOSBox if they encounter too much free conventional memory.

Try running the program with LOADFIX, e.g. LOADFIX PCX.EXE

Last edited by Errius on 2018-09-08, 09:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 54, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried using LOADFIX? Or using a real DOS image?

Does it work under pure DOS or in virtual machines like VirtualBox or VMWare?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 54, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

sounds like a conventional memory problem (0-640K) not EMS/XMS

Programs sometimes malfunction in DOS if they encounter too much free conventional memory.

Try running the program with LOADFIX, e.g. LOADFIX PCX.EXE

Fixed that for ya

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 54, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

treeman, Errius, Zup and DosFreak - thank you for your input. The app has full access to the 640K of conventional mem. I tried LOADFIX unsuccessfully. Since PCX.EXE is invoked by Crystal, not sure how to "LOADFIX it." I tried LOADFIX PCX.EXE before the primary executable, TECH.EXE with no change. I tried LOADFIX PCX.EXE and it hung (working) as it does when invoked by itself. Unfortunately, I do not have the development disks for Crystal, so I cannot change what is or is not called in the executables.

Now working on the VirtualBox option since I do not have access to pure DOS (or don't know that I do or could have).

I see an old version of Crystal out there. It is a long shot, but if the VirtualBox or other suggestions made this far come up empty, I just might try to download the old version and see if it will read the knowledge bases created a few years after its issue.

Reply 6 of 54, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Run LOADFIX by itself with no parameters before running any of your other programs. You may also want to try different allocation sizes, such as "LOADFIX -25" to reserve 25K of conventional memory. 64K is reserved by default.

Reply 7 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is also the scenario that this particular app is not compatible under dosbox just like some games run really bad or crash.

I would download the free version of vmplayer, download dos 6.22 iso. Mount it, mount a directory with your application as a hard drive under vmplayer and try that way.

Reply 8 of 54, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I spent the better part of yesterday trying to get a VM created with VMware to access files on my Windows 10 host. Drive mapping was grayed out, my main folder was shared and the working directory for the VM was present on the host. I made sure that Windows sharing permissions were open. I find that the Mount command in DOSBox is much more direct (and effective) that what I can find in VMware even though VMware is supposed to be the cat's meow? Incidentally, I downloaded the old version of Crystal and was able to access one of the trivial knowledge bases I had saved, but it did not recognize the file type of the kbs I really need, I think because the others had been "locked" for distribution. I realize that this issue may be beginning to exceed the purpose of this forum and am very thankful for the help provided to date. I will stay with trying to get VMware to work; may try the Oracle VM as well.

Reply 9 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not sure which vmware you are using because there is alot of different versions. I could never get mapping to work ask well but I found that if you make a new machine from a iso image eg dos6.iso, then under that machine add a ide hard disk and specify a directory on your Windows 10 for the ide hard drive that folder will be d: or c: on your vm machine depending how you mounted it.

e.g I made a dos6.22 iso as a cdrom and added a folder on my windows 10 as a ide hard drive so dos 6 booted from a cdrom and c: was my windows 10 folder

Reply 10 of 54, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds so easy and logical the way you describe it, treeman, but i am still not getting it done. To start, i am using VMware Workstation 14.1.3 build-9474260. I, too, boot the VM off a “CD drive” using an iso of DOS 6.22; however, i am finding no way of specifying any connection between the VM and the desired folder on WIN 10.

It would appear that i am missing something that should be obvious, or there is a version difference that may be complicating the communicatin process. In either case,your patience is appreciated.

Reply 11 of 54, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That functionality is meant to be used with "modern" guest OSs (Windows, Linux). Even if you use Windows inside a VM, you need to install the guest additions to make it work.

Other option could be installing DOS with a suitable network card, and use it to transfer files between systems.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 12 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have retraced my steps using Windows 10 and vmworkstation 9.0.0 build 812388

1. Insert a 1gb usb stick formatted to fat32 before opening vmware
2. open vmware, grant admin permission or open as administrator
3. File - > new virtual machine
4. Typical - > next
5. option 2 (installer disc image iso) - > browse and chose dos6.iso - > next
6. os - > other version - > ms-dos - > next
7. chose name - > next
8. split virtual disks - > next
9. finish
10. chose the newly created vm - > under devices clink hard drive = new window opens with "virtual machine settings"
11. delete the current default hard disk (2gb default)
12. add - > hard disk - > "use a physical disk" - > next
13. now under device pull down you will get a list of physical drives, I have 1 main hard disk and 1 usb, not sure how your system is. so for my system Physicaldrive0 = hard disk Physicaldrive1 = 1gb usb drive
in my example I select the 1gb drive (physical drive1) - > use entire disc - > next
14. click finish then ok
15. power on vm
16 dos6 boots to A: drive now c: is your usb drive

obviously once the usb drive is mounted on vm it is not accessible through windows 10 so copy all your files there beforehand

I did have a error saying it wouldn't mount at one stage but rebooting the system with the usb in the usb port and straying vmware fixed it.

I have used this method a few times to fdisk, format and make cf cards active drives for my retro pcs running dos and always works very well. The great thing about this method is the usb disk is a primary drive as the iso is booted through a cdrom. If you attack a usb/cf card as a secondary drive Fdisk will not allow to make it active as it sees it as a secondary not a primary drive

IMG_20180910_130858.jpg
IMG_20180910_130935.jpg

sorry I did remember it wrong, I was using a usb drive all along not mounting a folder from a local hard disk

Reply 13 of 54, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting closer. I followed the steps you mentioned, albeit with the higher numbered version of VMware, and currently only have A: and R:drives on the VM. The R drive is a network drive.

My USB with the Crystal files are on G: drive in Win 10 and it is inaccessible when the VM is turned on. That’s the good news. The bad news is that no letter I choose in Dos accesses the USB. I wonder if I should tank the network drive and then the USB will be the default. This will be my next step.

Reply 14 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

which drive did you select in step 13? make sure that is definitely your usb drive there. sounds like something is mounting as a hard drive but not the right thing

Reply 17 of 54, by Rei0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Capture2.PNG
Filename
Capture2.PNG
File size
42.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Capture1.PNG
Filename
Capture1.PNG
File size
36.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I do not see the USB in the drop down on my version. But it is acknowledged in Win 10.

Reply 18 of 54, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah mine also doesn't show it, thought yours might as its newer.

Also I reproduced the same behaviour using a 128gb stick. It also won't show up as a drive.
What size is your usb and what is the file system?
Remember dos6 won't be able to see large hard drives.

As a final test type in fdisk
then chose option 4 display partition information
I am betting you will see your usb drive there as a non dos drive so that's why d: is not assigned to it.

your nearly there, chose option 3 to delete partition or logical drive then option 1 to create a dos partition and make a partition 500mb in size to be safe
then fdisk will need to restart your dos vm, after that d: will be available however not formatted, you will need to format d: through dos. after that It will be visible.

power off virtual machine, copy your crystal files through Windows 10 to usb drive, power on vm and should be done