VOGONS

Common searches

IPX Issues

Topic actions

First post, by Just another guest

User metadata

I've two computers linked via lan (ethernet card)

A) P III 500 MhZ (hey! stop laughing!) 64mb ram Windows 98 (changed to win 2000 some days ago)
B) P IV 1,7 GhZ 256mb ram Windows XP

and I didn't found any compatibility issues with Red Alert (the first) on XP.

However, the game (and many other old games) recognizes IPX network only on computer A. Computer B seems to have only TCP\IP network installed, even if it mentions IPX network too.

Keep in mind that:

- I installed the LAN connection on 2 different windows (98 and XP). On Winodws 98 you have to do all manually. On Windows XP just insert the driver diskette and it does all automatically. This is where I think the problem is: Windows XP AUTOMATICALLY installs ONLY tcp\ip protocol? Or it does his task correctly (installing ipx too)?

- I tested the IPX network with DXdiag and it seems succesful. However, I tested the ipx protocol with these following games - with and without DOSBox - too:
Command & Conquer
Duke Nukem 3D
Warcraft II
Z (from bitmap brothers. I wonder if someone knows this game)
...and all of these recognise the ipx protocol only on computer A, except 'Z', which I had to run it on DOSBox.

I've been trying from one year to make the ipx protocol work, but i don't want to surrender 😵 ! So, you are my last chance.

This is my question: Where is the problem?
- XP just doesn't like ipx?
- XP doesn't install ipx network automatically (altough it's listed on lan properties)
- Others (answer please!)

thx in advance

Reply 1 of 3, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note: I haven't tried this out myself, and I have no experience running IPX/SPX, so for whatever this is worth...

My first thought was to go to the Local Area Connection Properties, and click Install. You can then click Protocol, and Add, and install the Nwlink IPX/SPX/Netbios Compatible Transport Protocol. Maybe this would do the trick? Has anybody tried it out?

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never had luck with IPX under NT unless I was using an emulator such as VPC, VMware, Dosbox or an IPX to TCP converter.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back when I used to support IPX, the most common problem was mismatched frame types. Many times the auto detect did not work properly. It's been a while since I used it, but if I remember, you have to go to the properties for NWLink and there should be an option to manually set the frame type. Make sure that both computers have the same frame type and IPX network number.