VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any suggestions for the most effective / compatible / recommended boot manager to handle multi-boots with the following OSs:

• MS-DOS 6.22
• Windows 95C (aka 2.5)
• Windows 98SE
• Windows NT 4 Workstation
• Maybe Linux/Unix (any suggestion about this? what type/version for Pentiums 60, 90, 166 MMZ downclocked to 120 and for a 486 DX2 66)

Thanks!

Last edited by aries-mu on 2018-09-19, 13:31. Edited 1 time in total.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The XFDisk boot manager is supposed to be pretty slick at cloaking partitions. Win 95 and Win98 can coexist under NTLDR, but it always seems unnatural to me for the boot drive to be anything but C:. I've also used Plop and Smart Bootmanager without cloaking (didn't need it at the time) -- both are good, although Smart Bootmanager is a little bit older in terms of features (no USB boot).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 8, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Seconding XFDisk. It's pretty easy too

wish it could be styled better though

gdjacobs wrote:

The XFDisk boot manager is supposed to be pretty slick at cloaking partitions. Win 95 and Win98 can coexist under NTLDR, but it always seems unnatural to me for the boot drive to be anything but C:. I've also used Plop and Smart Bootmanager without cloaking (didn't need it at the time) -- both are good, although Smart Bootmanager is a little bit older in terms of features (no USB boot).

Oh wow, I hadn't checked the "notify me when a reply is posted" thing.

thanks guys!!

Reply 4 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Master Booter for my MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 95/Windows 98SE/Windows ME/Windows 2000 mulriboot system. I don't have much experience with Linux though.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 8, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

I use Master Booter for my MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 95/Windows 98SE/Windows ME/Windows 2000 mulriboot system. I don't have much experience with Linux though.

Thanks!

Reply 7 of 8, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the "mbr" package provided by various Linux distributions.

It is a very basic, 1 sector bootloader, that simply asks the user for the partition number to boot: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/ma … tall-mbr.8.html

Also one modification I made to my DOS 6.00 IO.SYS is to patch the system disk detection routine, from FAT16 type 06 to 60, and changing the MBR entry accordingly.

This prevents other OSes (Windows XP, 7, etc). from automatically mounting the partition and polluting the FAT16 filesystem with LFNs.