VOGONS

Common searches

Redneck Rampage sound help (no sound)....

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK...1.5GH Athlon, Radeon 7800, SB Audigy Gamer, Windows 98SE. No sound since I put in the new sound card. Any help? I think I need some sort of Dos emulator, but don't know for sure.

Reply 1 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If its anything like the Live then the Audigy should install its own DOS emulator drivers. Go into the Device Manager and in one of the entries for the Audigy there should be a property sheet for the cards DOS emulation. Make sure that the virtual settings here (Address, IRQ, DMA etc) are set to the same as your games and making sure that Enable LPT Interrupt sharing is enabled.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 2 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThunderHog wrote:

No sound since I put in the new sound card.

Well right away, Id have to ask what was the status before you put the new card in? All audio working properly? Also, you say "No sound"; can we presume you mean no audio for DOS and not "No sound at all"?

Is Redneck Rampage the only thing you tried? Have you tried adjusting your audio settings with it's SETUP program?

I think I need some sort of Dos emulator, but don't know for sure.

You shouldn't need that, which is good, considering that the closest thing right now would be Virtual PC. That would $230, and performance would be pitiful compared to that in Win98SE.

Also, you didn't mention whether you were trying to run this within Win98, or from the DOS mode.

Reply 3 of 17, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I'll be more specific....Before the Audigy SB gamer was installed (um..it was the best one they had $109...dunno if it's a SB Live or not), I had a factory installed piece of crap C-media sound "card" that's attached to the motherboard. With this old sound card I was able to run all games, even DOD games, but it sucked in terms of quality. I still have it, but disabled it and unplugged it from the motherboard to accomodate the SB audigy. I cannot find anything in the device manager that says anything about DOS emulation for the SB audigy, but there WAS for the C-media. The SB audigy works for non-DOS games (very well, I might add), and yes, Redneck Rampage is the only DOS based game I own, and yes, I DO run it from MS-DOS prompt.

I believe I CAN run Redneck with sound.....IF I re-connect the C-media sound card and disable the SB Audigy, but I'm looking for a way to use the Audigy....and I don't feel like cracking open the tower every time I want to play Redneck!

Reply 4 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThunderHog wrote:

Sorry, I'll be more specific...

Not a problem. Just looking for a cause/effect relationship. Help us help you. That kind of thing.

Before the Audigy SB gamer was installed (um..it was the best one they had 9...dunno if it's a SB Live or not),

If I'm understanding you right, you mean Creative's best card before the Audigy. That should be one of the various SoundBlaster Live cards.

I had a factory installed piece of crap C-media sound "card" that's attached to the motherboard. With this old sound card I was able to run all games, even DOD games, but it sucked in terms of quality.

I'm in a reverse position. C-Media chip only partially compatible in DOS, seems OK in Windows.

Of course, your concern is the Audigy.
If I understand Snover correctly, this isn't all that good of a thing.
showthread.php?s=&threadid=129
I noted that he tended to use "bad words" to describe it, but he's running 2000 and you're running 98SE, so hopefully it'll all come out better. Now, according to this thread:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=97&pagenumber=2
There is a SoundBlaster 16 emulation program included on the Audigy driver CD (\DOSDrv) which installs some drivers.

Have you tried installing those?

I cannot find anything in the device manager that says anything about DOS emulation for the SB Audigy, but there WAS for the C-media.

Even if you get proper DOS support, it might not have a specific entry in the device manager, as most DOS audio support is gone. Started disappearing back when they released the last major driver update for the SoundBlaster Live (If you started a new install from them, DOS drivers were not installed by default, and you couldn't install them separately either).

While you'll still see "SoundBlaster compatible" on virtually every card, references to DOS are going away. Even now there a bunch of cards that still support a "dosbox", but not true DOS.

... Redneck Rampage is the only DOS based game I own, and yes, I DO run it from MS-DOS prompt.

Ok, so you're running it in true DOS, have you tried running it in Win98? By default Redneck Rampage will try to force you to run it in true DOS.

Find the RR.EXE file in your rampage directory. Right-click on it and get it's "Properties". Click on the Program tab, then Advanced and make sure "MS-DOS mode" is not chosen, click Ok, go to the Screen tab and make sure you select "Full-screen", then go to the Misc and make sure "Allow screen saver" is off.
You may or may not want to switch on "Protected memory". In theory it's always safer, but I've also had issues where it caused problems as well.

Run Setup.exe and match your audio settings with those in your device manager (the IRQ and the two DMA #). Hopefully your Audigy is configured to use normal settings like 5,1,5 or 7,1,5. (If not, try to match anyway, but it's probably not going to work).

If setup tests properly, then try running the game.

When you want to run it, Use the RR.EXE file, don't use the batch script that it normally generates when you install it. When it starts it will detect that it's running within Windows (might not if you choose "protected memory"). It will halt with a warning, press "C" to continue. Try playing it for a while. Despite the warning, BUILD games tend to be pretty stable, even within Windows. (This is presuming you have 64Meg of memory or more).

We can try DOS later if you can get DOS drivers actively working, but this might work for you right now. I run RR in Win98SE all the time. It actually performs better than in DOS for me.

Reply 5 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If memory serves, the DOS drivers (that is, real DOS, the Windows emulation drivers I hinted to earlier were installed regardless) were included in the Live driver updates but curiously not added to the default install profile. I used to get around that by extracting all the files into a folder on my hard drive and manually editing one of the files (I forget which one, sorry. It's been too long since I seriously used 9x and the knowledge I once had has started to drain away) to enable them to be installed.

With regards to the Windows emulation drivers, they aren't actually given an entry to themselves in the Device Manager but rather a sub-page of the main Sound Blaster Live! device (Like I said, I wouldn't have the first clue about the Audigy). It's called "SB16 Emulation" or something like that.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 6 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

... real DOS, the Windows emulation drivers I hinted to earlier were installed regardless) were included in the Live driver updates but curiously not added to the default install profile.

That's the one. Only thing is, that's for the Live; not certain if it's the case for the Audigy. Hopefully, it's on his install CD.

With regards to the Windows emulation drivers, they aren't actually given an entry to themselves in the Device Manager but rather a sub-page of the main Sound Blaster Live!

True. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see that it's not there at all.

Reply 7 of 17, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it to work!!! Yea, I did have to extract the DOS drivers from the install CD manualy (I'm a dumb-ass for not looking there in the first place), play around with the adress-IRQ-DMA etc... for a few minutes, but it works now! The only problem I have now is that i can play user-made levels without any problems, but playing the origonal game itself....it cuts out on me and gives me a blank screen and I gotta do an emergency re-boot every time I've tried. it probably has to do with me being a bone-head and not typing in the correct command, but I believe it has more to do with the opening cinematic of the game that makes the system freeze up. Hey, if I can get a user-level to play, I'll get the whole game to play (sooner or later!).

Reply 8 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThunderHog wrote:

Got it to work!!!

Good to hear.

The only problem I have now is that i can play user-made levels without any problems, but playing the origonal game itself....it cuts out on me and gives me a blank screen.....but I believe it has more to do with the opening cinematic of the game that makes the system freeze up.

Hrmm. That shouldn't be happening. Experienced a similar issue with RR while running on XP.
showthread.php?threadid=474

...if I can get a user-level to play, I'll get the whole game to play (sooner or later!).

It appears that the animated intro is a troublemaker. BTW, what were the audio settings you used? One thing I do know is that the animation in the intro does not use the settings that the setup program uses (no idea why they did this, bad move). I do know that many DOS games can't handle an IRQ going higher than 7. Even though the game allows this, I'm betting that intro won't.

Reply 9 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since he doesn't have an SBAudigy, that's not a problem. Even if he did, the problem drivers are for 2000/XP. Good for him, not so good for me. 😒

Anyway, why in Bob's name didn't they have an option to skip the intro?

I wonder if you could type in the name of the first map file like you do for user maps and have it run without the intro... it's worth a shot, if anyone knows what that map's name is.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 17, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The sound settings for Redneck on my computer are 240 adress, 7 IRQ, 1 8-bitDMA, and 7 16-bitDMA. The intro cinematic DOES work for Redneck Rampage, but it locks up my system when trying to play the full version of Redneck Rampage Rides Again. The opening cinematic for RRRA is much more detailed and involved than for RR. Maybe I tweaked the Radeon too much. I CAN use user levels for both RR and RRRA, through DOS prompt, and they don't use the cinematics. Maybe someone out there knows how to disable the cinematic for RRRA.

Reply 11 of 17, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm....just a thought: I COULD run the full version of RRRA by playing a user level, and when it's finished, I know for sure from there you start the full version from the beginning without the intro. Kind of a half-baked way of getting around the intro, but it'll work.

BTW...I DO have the SBAudigy Gamer....

Reply 13 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...the problem drivers are for 2000/XP. Good for him, ...

Ok, so he seems ok on this one.

B]Anyway, why in Bob's name didn't they have an option to skip the intro?

Beats the heck out of me. On the original RR, I actually found that the files are good old .ANM format. The legacy of DeluxePaint III lives on as these are actually IFF (Amiga's Interchangeable File Format) animations. That also means the audio comes from separate files. I'm not sure about RedneckRampageRidesAgain, though. I'd need to find the CD again.

Reply 14 of 17, by ThunderHog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem with running the first level like a user level (to skip the intro) is that the origonal maps are compressed into one file, with no map names to read. I could start a user level, then use the cheat code "redmeadow11" and that might bring me to the first level. Lemme try....