VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Scrodes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I was told you're my best bet so here we go:

first let me start off by saying Im not a computer wizard here, much like any other college aged student, I am more than comfortable with my PC, but I dont konw the real ins and outs of anything.

that said, here's my problem:

I just re-loaded Origin's "Pacific Strike" onto my computer, I figure that there has to be some trick to making it work on here, becasue I know its been done before, just have no idea how, can someone help me?

EDIT by Qbix: oh look it's freeware: Abandonware != freeware!!!!!

My Computer:
p3 733, 512mb ram, GeFORCE 4 mx440 128mb DDR, running windows XP

The Game:
see link above for full description and game download (13mb)

What I've tried so far:
Yes I read the 'readme'
DOSBOX - set EMS to false in the config file, did loadfix -2, tried to run the game with sound disabled (didn't like my sound card) just froze on load with a multicoloured screen

Abandon Loader (http://www.angelfire.com/realm/zeroone/)
no matter what I do it keeps giving me the error message:
"protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM" "

I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me get this game running, I have yet to find a flight sim that betters it for quality of gameplay (at least in the campaign) or even comes close for that matter.

Reply 1 of 2, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abandon Loader should be used in conjunction with VDMSound because Abandon Loader is more of a Frontend to VDMSound. Because if I remember correctly you can use VDMSound to turn on and off EMS and other stuff. It's been a while since I used that program though.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scrodes wrote:

DOSBOX - set EMS to false in the config file, did loadfix -2, tried to run the game with sound disabled (didn't like my sound card) just froze on load with a multicoloured screen

It doesn't freeze. You have to wait 😀