VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way of preventing (or minimising) the aweful shakey flicker seen in some high-res (and some low-res!) DOS games when running in WinXP?

Examples include Scorcher and Test Drive Off Road (both obtainable from Home of the Underdogs if anyone else wants to have a look!).

These can be run in DOSbox but then they are too slow.

Ice

Reply 1 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing that works for me is turning off the small fan near my monitor.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 2 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not talking about interferance! Try running either of those games (available at Underdogs) and see if you get the same - the vsync is either out or a rogue frame keeps jumping in every few frames.

Could these be using VESA as they run 640x480 res in DOS? I'm still not sure which games do use VESA!

Ice

Reply 3 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry. I just misread your post. I can't reproduce the problem in either of these games, but I think Wipeout XL might do what you are talking about. I fixed it by turning down the resolution.

BTW, there seems to be a Windows version of Scorcher hanging out somewhere. If you can find it, it might work better.

[EDIT]: Disregard; it seems that I was totally wrong. Not only was it not the same problem, it wasn't even the resolution that fixed it.

Reply 4 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah I know, Wipeout XL/2097 is a whole other can of worms. An unthrottled piece of poor programming! Odd given that Psygnosis released it around the same time as Formula 1 (95) which can still be coaxed into working in Windows XP, whereas Wipeout XL runs at a million frames per second!

Actually in Wipeout XL you can see the frame rate by typing FRAMERATE when on the menu screen. Doesn't help slow it down though!

Incidentally Wipeout XL cannot be slowed down on hyperthreaded PCs by using slowdown applications as they only slowdown one thread! The best bet is to get the PlayStation version (which has better music!) and use a PSX emulator. Or get Wip3out Special Edition which is better still (I never got Wip3out (non-special edition) to work properly in any PSX emulator. Anyway I'm rambling now, go try those DOS games and see if you have the same problem!

Ice

Reply 5 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't reproduce the problem in either game. In fact, the only way I can get TD:OR to run at all is to use a boot disk. Sorry I couldn't help 🙁