VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zippyTpinhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing the old Mindscape text game Voodoo Island in DOSBox on a Windows 10 machine. I mount the game directory on my hard drive as a drive in DOSBox and everything works fine. But I'd like to save games. VI apparently expects everything to run from the floppy drive (5.25?), bc when I type "save" it asks that I remove the game disk and insert a save disk. It refuses to save to a "game disk". I've tried mounting an additional directory as another drive and pressing ctrl-F4, but I still get the message that I can't save to a game disk. Is there a way to emulate swapping out the floppy disk? THX!

Reply 1 of 6, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you look at the disk in the DOSBox command line ("dir a:") and then switch disks with Ctrl+F4, do you see the contents of the disk change?

I always thought Ctrl+F4 only worked for swapping disk images mounted with IMGMOUNT rather than actual folders, but I'm not sure.

Reply 2 of 6, by zippyTpinhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

If you look at the disk in the DOSBox command line ("dir a:") and then switch disks with Ctrl+F4, do you see the contents of the disk change?

I always thought Ctrl+F4 only worked for swapping disk images mounted with IMGMOUNT rather than actual folders, but I'm not sure.

I think you have it right. With two directories mounted as disks, ctrl+F4 has no effect on contents. CHDIR works as expected.

Not sure what to do next. I'm wondering if I need image files to represent game and save disks, but I'm not sure how to create them. I have no floppy drive, let alone the media. Game was a download from the web.

Reply 3 of 6, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 1.44MB floppy image is just a blank file that's 1.44MB in size. There are programs that can create them, or I'm sure you could even download a blank one that's already been formatted and use that straight away.

Reply 4 of 6, by zippyTpinhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

A 1.44MB floppy image is just a blank file that's 1.44MB in size. There are programs that can create them, or I'm sure you could even download a blank one that's already been formatted and use that straight away.

Thanks! Youve gotten me started. Further questions will probably belong under a DOSBox heading.

Reply 5 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about simply installing VirtualBox with FreeDos? Then you can use multiple floppy images and swap them at will.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC