VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by obcbeatle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope this is the correct forum to post this. If not ... I apologize.

I use RealVNC to connect to an XP PC from an OSX Macbook Pro (MBP) for playing Windows games. This works well for me because it allows me to be anywhere in the house playing the game on my MBP as long as the XP PC is turned on. I'd like to do the same thing playing some of my old DOS games (MPS Silent Service II, Pirates & Sierra Aces Of The Deep). I currently have those DOS games installed on a Windows 98SE PC that i can play either by booting into DOS (via F8) or within W98SE itself (DOS window). However ... I have not been able to find an old VNC or remote controller app. to install in Windows 98SE ... that will work with OSX (10.8.5). I'm guessing there is probably not a product out here that will allow me to do this (like an old version of PC Anywhere?) ... but thought I'd ask here just in case. I also have a Windows 2000 Pro PC that RealVNC works on ... but even though I can play the DOS game Silent Service II (SSII) in a DOS window with W2K Pro ... when I use RealVNC to play the game SSII freezes within the DOS window. Anyway ... I have other options like building a DOS 6.22 or Win95 PC ... but finding an app. for controlling the DOS games within OSX has proven challenging. Might there be some other option? Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you explain why you want to play these old games remotely in your house when you're better off playing them on the same computer?
Have you tried emulation, virtualization, ports, etc on the OSX machine for these games?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The best way to play those games on your mac is via Dosbox, IMO.
Using NTVDM and on top of that a VNC is not looking like a good combination

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 5, by obcbeatle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. Due to a current medical condition I can't sit in front of a computer screen (my gaming machines(s) for very long. So I've been using my MBP laptop in different recliners, etc.

Anyway ... I just discovered DOSBox (thanks for the tip ... and the help files here on Vogons!) so I installed DOSBox on my XP PC and was able to install Silent Service II and Pirates via DOSBox. Looks like they will play via DOSBox/RealVNC too. I just need to test further.

So it looks like if the games are stable under DOSBox ... I may already be good to go. I'm pretty amazed I didn't even know about DOSBox. Great little app!

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox works native on OSX. No need to go through a vnc.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper