Win ME
1.4ghz P4
384mb RDRAM
Dell Dimension 8100
Turtle Bay Santa Cruz
NVIDIA FX 5600 w/128mb
80/30gb hdds
etc...

Sorry this is long but I've given step-by-step details of how this came to be. I have the cd version of Betrayal at Krondor that has a windows installer in addition to the old DOS installer. I used to be able to play this game with Win95 but never got it working in 98/98SE or ME before. However, I have installed it fine from windows before it just wouldn't run due to my inability to free enough conventional memory. I had this installed previously on this same exact computer with the ME os... I installed DosBox .61 Win32 then rebooted, no problems. I tried installing BAK using the windows installer from the cd and it failed saying it could not access a Language.ini file. It suggested I check if this file was write protected. It was but being on the cd I could change it's attributes so I showed all hidden and system files then copied the contents of the cd to C:\oldgames\bak, then finally removing the read-only flag from this file. I ran the windows installation program from this directory and it seemed to run smoothly, creating program folders with shortcuts and returning no errors. I rebooted the computer and when I hit enter to log into windows there was a tiny dialogue box that popped up with a message but having my finger on Enter it cleared before I could read it. As far as I can tell there was a brief sentence followed by Yes/No options with the No selected by default. After this Windows loaded normally with no other noticeable abnormalities. I went to the directory I had tried installing BAK to (C:\oldgames\Sierra\BAKCd) and those directories were there but the only contents were a few ini and text files. There were about five files total none of them the .exe. So I knew the installation was screwed and deleted this folder. I then tried running DosBox from the command prompt in case I could run the DOS installer within it. A window opened then I immediately went to a BSOD with the following error:

File Name: VDD(03) + 00001816 Error: 00:C0231D9E

I prayed and hit Enter and got the same BSOD again. Hit enter again and I was returned to the windows desktop. At this point I rebooted again and after the WinME splash screen...
BSOD with only the following:

Windows protection error.  You need to restart your computer.

System Halted

I rebooted into Safe Mode and everything seemed normal. The scandisk routine ran on C: drive with no reported errors. Rebooted again in normal mode and got the same Windows protection error. :'( So I tried booting again normally logging to BOOTLOG.TXT and when I examined it in Safe Mode the only errors I saw were failed loadings of .ttf TrueType Fonts?

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\MARLETT.TTF
LoadFail = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\MARLETT.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\SSERIFE.FON
LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\SSERIFE.FON
LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\LUCON.TTF
LoadFail = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\LUCON.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\TAHOMA.TTF
LoadFail = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\TAHOMA.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\TAHOMABD.TTF
LoadFail = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\TAHOMABD.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\ARIAL.TTF
LoadFail = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\ARIAL.TTF Failure code is 0016

...etc. all the way down to WINGDNG3.TTF
Verbatim here, http://members.cox.net/sppimley/BOOTLOG.TXT

Now I don't know if this is the BOOTLOG.TXT of the failed Windows load or the successful Safe Mode load. I used a WinME boot disk and when I examined the log there were no mentions of these fonts or any other errors. I would like NOT to have to format->reinstall (yet again), so if anyone can help me track down the problem and possible solutions their help would be extremely appreciated. I can't get online with my pc due to this problem but I'll be able to check my webmail or this site from a laptop.

Thanks,
S
sppimley@cox.net

Reply 1 of 8, by SocietalEclipse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also I have tried System Restore in Safe Mode and it took me back to the same BSOD when it rebooted and the next time I was in Safe Mode it said it could not restore to that date. I booted from the WinME OEM installation disk to DOS and ran SCANREG.EXE and it reported NO registry errors.

Reply 2 of 8, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Microsoft's Knowledge Base says that font failures in the bootlog.txt file are normal after you first install Windows. That might mean something, but I can't come up with anything else.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 3 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SCANREG /RESTORE is your friend. 😀
That said, Me is a heaping pile of SHIT. Either install Win98SE or upgrade to XP. (Yes. it is an upgrade. YES, YOU DOS FREAKS. IT IS.) And it's hard to talk about Me, because when you talk about Me, it sounds like you've got bad grammar and are talking about yourself.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 8, by SocietalEclipse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the problem the long hard way. Removed graphics card from control panel and uninstalled NVIDIA drivers. Ran Driver Cleaner 3 and reinstalled the 61.76 drivers. I've never had a problem with them before so now I'm wondering if Ultimate Doom was the culprit. I installed it a few days before and it would never work just kept crashing on load.

I will upgrade to XP when I get more RAM. I play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory a lot and that is a hog on my computer as it is. No need at the moment to divert even more RAM to the operating system.

Reply 5 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you got it working again. Personally, I would DOWNGRADE to Win98se. In fact, that is what I did. I bought a brand new computer about a year ago (or was it two) and deleted XP (that felt good). I then installed Win98se. It still works with everything so far although 98se is no longer supported by Microsoft. Anyway, I will stay with 98se as long as I can and when I am forced (against my will) to upgrade, I will simply buy a laptop but keep this puppy as is.

Reply 6 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It also likes to bluescreen, and cause segfaults, and allows fucking around with things that userland programs shouldn't be able to touch. Did I mention you can't have more than 512M RAM?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

WinME are not good OS. If you want max. compatibility with old games, I recommend Windows 98 SE (the best W9x based OS).
If you do not care about old games then WXP are the best (you will get better stabilit then with any W9x system).
I use dualboot of WXP and W98SE.

Mirek