VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ModernMajorGeneral

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I have just purchased a floppy of the first Football Manager. It's the Prism Leisure release (if that's makes a difference.) And the problem is every time I try to run the program, I get an error which reads: Key disk not found. I have tried this on the floppy, and this even still occurs on a image of the floppy. I am wondering what I should do. Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you, and have a merry Christmas!

-Ross

Reply 1 of 3, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On-disk copy protection. If it does not work on real hardware, the disk may be bad, or the system incompatible with the keydisk checking routine ("WayDisk Minder" in the case of Football Manager).

And unless you image the disk with a Kryoflux or SuperCardPro device and use an emulator that supports copy-protected floppy disks using these formats (DOSBox certainly does not), the game will not run unmodified in emulators.

Reply 3 of 3, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, virtual machine does not count as real heardware. 😀 I suppose a virtual machine could virtualize the floppy disk controller and the diskette drive sufficiently to work with 1980s' copy protection schemes, but the virtual machine's programmer would have to go out of his way to do that.

Merry Christmas nonetheless.