VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SolVBE 1.3b has been released, including small additions. In order to develop SolVBE futher, I need some test cases; if you have some DOS application that should, in theory, run under SolVBE, but it doesn't, I'd like to know about it. If you do find some such software, please about it either here or in the SolVBE project 'help' forum at sourceforge.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd, I decided to test some games like Wolfenstein 3D, Kens' Labyrinth and the solvbe window popped up.

Checking the log it tried to map an unknown port and it also recognized vga modes. Would it be possible

to get non-vesa games to work in solvbe?

NTVDM is pegged at 100% throughout all games.

Games that work

BLOOD works

Descent 2 demo works

Descent
works

Nascar Racing

SimCity 2000

Games that do not work

Daggerfall Installation
Screen is corrupted
Nothing in solvbe.log

Big Red Racing
Game crashes back to command prompt with
Exception 0Dh (general protection fault)

Extreme Assault demo
Crashes Solvbe

Knights of Xentar
graphics corruption

Need for Speed
Blue screen, game freezes.

One Must Fall 2097
Crashes solvbe. Crashes back to command line

Wacky Wheels
Black Screen

Wolf3d
Black screen

Destruction Derby
Black screen...continues to load.

Duke Nukem 3D
Takes forever to load.

Gabriel Knight
Takes forever to load

Ken's Labyrinth

Attachments

• Filename
    SOLVBELOGS.rar
    File size
    86.21 KiB
    Downloads
    148 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Checking the log it tried to map an unknown port and it also recognized vga modes. Would it be possible to get non-vesa games to work in solvbe?

13h (320x200x256) mode should work as is ('dune' for instance, works), and there's some primitive support code for tweak modes, although I haven't done much testing on that end (tweak modes are a pain as they aren't all too well documented, and there's many ways to get the same tweak mode).

Most games that don't work with solvbe now will probably never work, but for other than video problems. Nevertheless, I need the test cases to see what I can do. =)[/quote]

Reply 4 of 5, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looked at wolf3d. It appears to initialize some kind of tweak mode, and then waits for retrace forever.

Strangely enough, it checks for retrace approximately once per millisecond, eg. not in a very tight busy loop, as I would have expected.

With other applications that have "hung" at vertical retrace, it has been enough to, for instance, report vrc on/vrc off every second time the application queries for retrace status. Not so for mr. wolf.

My guess is that the tweak mode setup expects some values from the video chip when it reads the registers, but isn't getting anything sensible, as I haven't implemented full vga emulation (and I probably won't even try).

Anyway, interesting.

Wolf3d does work just fine under winxp though, but I guess it would be nice(r) to get it working in a window as well.

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, not much point in bothering. Those who really want to play those games in a window can use DosBox anyway.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline