VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ronin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

though this forum offers a lot of helpful advice for "problem children" games like Shadow Warrior, I still can't get it to work properly.

I tried to run it on Win2K with NOLFB and on Win98.
In both cases, the game starts and is playable, but colours are all messed up. On Win2K, the windows desktop is also messed up (not just colours but graphics in general) after closing the game, and only rebooting will restore the display.
In shadow warrior, the colours will only be displayed correctly if I choose 320x200 (non-VESA) as resolution.
This problem persists even under plain DOS, although in Duke Nukem 3D all colours look OK, even in VESA resolutions under DOS.

Could this mean that Shadow Warrior is generally incompatible with my graphics card (ATI Radeon 9000)?

The second issue is sound:
I tried to patch the game (sw.exe) with CLI2NOP.EXE, but it failed (it said "missing find string").
I then found out which bytes are to be replaced and used a hex editor to search and replace the byte sequence by hand.
Anyway, even when run in VDMSound (2.10), shadow warrior complains about not being able to playback sound and suggests possibly incorrect IRQ/DMA/Port settings.

Interestingly, not even Shadow Warrior setup (SETUP.EXE) can access the sound card. I started SETUP.EXE with VDMSound and verified that the SB16 parameters were the same as in vdms.ini, but setup still says it can't initialize the sound card. If I choose different IRQ settings, setup will hang as soon as I try to test the settings.

By the way, my sound card is a RealTek AC97 on-board audio controller.

I really would like to get that game working, so I would be very thankful for any hints.

sayonara

ronin