VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deathknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys!

I have an old ms-dos game called magic carpet plus. The problem is, that i can't play this game on Windows 2000 because the game is made for Dos. Do anyone here have a patch or something like this for my problem? I hope, you'll answer soon, because Magic Carpet Plus is one of my favourite MS-DOS games ....
Thx

Deathkngith

Reply 1 of 6, by deathknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

k, now i can start the game and play it. But there are two problems for me: On my monitor is a big fat line when i play magic carpet plus and the game is too fast. I tried to change to speed with f4, but the speed was still too fast. Can somebody help me? I think, the most of you have magic carpet plus and want to game it! So please help me!

CPU:P4 1.6GHZ
RAM:256MD DDR
GRAFICCARD:CHEAP OLD ONE, GEFORCE 1

Reply 2 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had you tried it in DOSBox? I played the original Magic Carpet with it, but I don't have Magic Carpet Plus to try. It played fine in Dosbox but I did have some sound cutting out at times. Adjusting the CPU cycles in Dosbox fixed most of those. I wasn't able to get Magic Carpet Netherworlds working in Dosbox .61, I haven't tried it on .62 yet.

If you try to play it on anything faster than a Pentium it is too fast. Even my old P2-266 was too fast. In Dosbox it played ok though.

Reply 3 of 6, by kypec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Xian97,

could you please specify in which version of DOSBox you are able to play Magic Carpet? Because I just can't seem to get any sound effects to work
properly in DOSBox 0.63 / Win98SE. My PC=P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, SoundBlaster Live!, mobo Gigabyte i865PE. All I can hear is just music, no matter which soundcard I choose in game setup, only SoundBlaster/Pro FM synthesis works.
P.S. I have only the floppy disk version of the game, could there be some issue with sound FX???

TIA,
kypec

Have a nice day full of games 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played it in v0.62 but just tried it in 0.63 and played the first level. I just picked Soundblaster/Soundblaster FM IRQ 7, IO 220, DMA 1 for music/sound. My systems specs are pretty much the same, though I run it on XP. The only difference is that I am running the CD version.

Reply 5 of 6, by kypec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the problem was really in that FLOPPY VERSION of the game.
Recently I tried MAGIC CARPET PLUS (CD rip) and sound works great!
Even SB Pro is running (yet only FM music as mentioned earlier) but
at least you can hear effects as STEREO which might save your butt sometimes 😉
My specs: Win98SE + DOSBox 0.63

P.S. At the beginnings the game has frozen 2-3 times during gameplay. Eventually I tried some tweaking (overlay render mode + normal CPU mode) and probably this helped to improve stability.

Have a nice day full of games 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have access to 2 PCs.

Family PC:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512 MB DDR-266 RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Windows XP Home

The games run OK under DOSBox, but it's still a little slow in hi-res mode. I remember being able to run MC+ without DOSBox & sound, but it was WAY TOO FAST even in hi-res! While DOSBox's not-very-spectacular performance is usually annoying, it sometimes helps for games like Castle Wolfenstein & the MC series that run too fast under ordinary conditions.

Legacy PC:

AMD K6-2 366 MHz
128 MB PC-100 RAM
SiS 530 w/STB 12 MB Voodoo 2
SB Live! Value
Windows 98 SE/Windows 2000/Mandrake Linux 9.0

This PC runs it even better under Win98SE-I can get it just right in hi-res with both games, as lo-res mode runs a little fast.

I'd like to play both games over LAN, but the problem is that programs like DOSBox & GliDOS seem to nullify any network I might have. Strangely, the ball-and-stick thing in MC+ doesn't highlight(it's the LAN game option, right?)on either PC while the legacy PC can go into MC2 LAN mode just fine.