How can i extract the soundtrack of an old DOS game?

Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

How can i extract the soundtrack of an old DOS game?

Postby Musti » 2019-5-25 @ 18:10

Hello everyone,

i have the demo of the game Skaphander and would like to listen separately to the soundtrack.
Is it possible to extract the soundtrack from the game? If yes, where is it stored and how can i extract it?
The game has only these free files:

SKAPEDEMO.BAT
SKAPEDEMO.WRS
WRUN.EXE
Musti

Re: How can i extract the soundtrack of an old DOS game?

Postby clueless1 » 2019-5-25 @ 18:22

You could connect the audio out from the DOS PC to audio in on a modern PC and use Audacity to capture the real-time playback. You might have to go in and disable digital sound effects to capture only the music.
clueless1
l33t

Postby xjas » 2019-5-25 @ 18:30

What kind of music is it? If it's tracker or another digital type, it can usually be "ripped"; try starting with an program like Ripper5. If it's MIDI you can just record the MIDI output in DOSBOX or with a MIDI recorder and have a .mid you can play.

If it's FM (Adlib/SB) it's gonna be more difficult. You can always record a .dro (direct OPL command stream) with DOSBOX but that's not something you can really "play" (although Scali's VGM player supports it IIRC.)
xjas
l33t

Postby Musti » 2019-5-25 @ 18:46

This is the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5NNUu-Bbs&t=63s
I found out that i can use simply CTRL+F6 and record the music in DOSBox. Problem solved.
Thank you for your recommendations!
Musti

Return to DOS