VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zodiac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm encountering a bug where monsters that spawn inside (it seems to be only the random ones that spawn inside, such as for the fighter's guild quests where you kill a bear in a house, or in the dungeons) are invisible, leaving me to flail around like an idiot until I see some blood.

While running the game with Z.cfg's CD path pointing to the actual CD, I can run it with VDMS or without; the game loads either way and both give me the invisibility problem. DOSBox will tell me that I can't play Daggerfall off the CD and must install it.

When running the game without the CD (editing z.cfg and whatnot), both VDMS and DOSBox tell me the same thing about needing to install the game. Running it without either will cause the game to open, but it's just a frozen black screen.

I've tried running the command (in DOSBox) mount c c:\ then c:\dagger\fall.exe z.cfg as many people suggested, but they I get an error stating ERR:path not specified, ERR: map file not specified, There are configuration error(s).

I'm running XP with a 2.66 GHz P4, a 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800, and a Soundblaster Audigy 2, VDMS 2.1.0, and DOSBox .62. I patched Daggerfall to version 2.13.

If anyone could lend me a hand, I'd be much obliged. And just ask if you need more information; I'm not sure where to find a lot of the stuff requested by the sticky thread (motherboard and whatnot).

Reply 1 of 6, by Calboutin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apart from editing Z.cfg to run without the cd you need to have done a full install . The 1st line of Z.cfg should be:
type dfall_huge
The next 2 should point to the install directory and the CD (same of course)
You will also need to copy all .vid files into the dagger/Arena2 folder.
If they are not there the game will hang on a black screen.

Also you need to make a file, say, DAG.bat that says:
@Fall.exe Z.cfg

Then run this Dag.bat in Dosbox to start the game. You will need to play with the cycles in dosbox to get a good speed of game. I use 20000 on a AMD 2000 Cpu.
There is a fair bit of info on this game in dosbox if you do a search
Also there is a file available that idoes a full install but i can't remember where it is! A search for patches should find it . It is the full game fixed by Bethesda to install and avoid the problem where the CD is not seen in windows xp.

Hope this helps.

Reply 2 of 6, by Zodiac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hrm, I made the batch file and ran it with DosBox, but it told me that fall.exe was an illegal command.

Everything with the z.cfg is right, I believe, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work. Apparently z.cfg already had the dfall_huge line in there, and I'd already copied the contents of arena2 from the CD to hard disk. Damn you, Daggerfall.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dayrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most people seem to think the invisible monster bug has something to do with NTFS and fast CPUs. There is a ton of info about it over at the Elder Scrolls forums. Sadly the only way I was able to play Daggerfall a few months ago was on a P2 500 running Win98SE.

Reply 5 of 6, by Overload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem like this, but I still cant get it to work even with the batch file in the dagger folder and copying the arena 2 files from the CD to HD and changin the z.cfg to those specs. I'm using DOSBox 0.63, 62, and 61. Each come up with a different name for the error.