Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

You recommend PowerDesk, then?

So long as you understand it's a Win9x tool that works properly on an NT OS and not NT-specific, yes.

Every so once in a while, when you quit it will flash an image of the PowerDesk box. That's the advertising in effect. Don't worry, no spyware and it only does it occasionally for a about a second or so...

Move, copy, delete and open files
file encryption
"Shred" files permanently for privacy and security
Zip and unzip files right from Windows
Single/Dual Pane...etc...

The free version leaves out:
integrated FTP
customizable toolbar
Extended file viewer for over 200 types of files (think QuickView)
Size Manager

I like the way it works. Can emulate keyboard control like XTree and Norton Commander (your old shortcuts should work).

I like the way I just hit INSERT to create a directory, etc...

Hrmm...just found out version 5 is out.

Reply 42 of 44, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snower advice is change config.sys if you use Win95. Yeah its right.

But i dont understand snower code. This sould be right code:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
BUFFERS=20
FILES=20
DEVICEHIGH=C:\ESSAUDIO.SYS
REM Country=972,862,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

I dont understand why snower use RAM I=B000-B7FF, it isnt demand. Maybe it is fix for his mem problem (snower comp mem problem??? maybe). And you should wright the line DOS=HIGH.... under the lines himem and under emm386. Because in these lines are defined (in these drivers) what is High memomry and Umb.
In config.sys first line is go first, if wrtite some line before other it should be running. It same for device= .... himem.sys and not devicehigh, because high is defined in emm386. And line country just turn off with REM, it is language code you dont need is under win95 its only for DOS. And i think you dont have progs in your mothertongue (or you dont use any). Then just t urn it off, hehe. Buffers and files, hmmm, you can change it i think from 12 to 60, but it will not change system running so big.

And if dont have enogh Base memory you can change your autoexec.bat

I t hink you have some line with country ... bla bla ... - just turn it off, write a on t he top of t hat line (REM COUTRY ..........).

And you can load to high mem also mouse driver and mscdexe or NC, ...

Reply 43 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

El nostalgico, I am not sure what you are trying to say about the order of the lines in CONFIG.SYS, but FYI here is what Microsoft have to say:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … =kb;en-us;71705 SUMMARY […]
Show full quote

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … =kb;en-us;71705
SUMMARY

When loading Microsoft MS-DOS into high memory, DOS=HIGH and DEVICE statements for the XMS driver do not have to be the first two entries in the CONFIG.SYS file.

This information applies to MS-DOS version 5.0.

MORE INFORMATION

The DOS=HIGH statement can appear on any line in the CONFIG.SYS file. After finding the DOS=HIGH statement, MS-DOS loads each device driver starting at the beginning of the CONFIG.SYS file. When the XMS driver is loaded, MS-DOS relocates into high memory. Because the device drivers are loaded in the order they appear in the file, any device driver that needs XMS memory should appear after the XMS driver.

Only DEVICEHIGH statements in the CONFIG.SYS file that appear after the XMS driver and the UMB provider will be loaded into the upper memory area (UMA). When using MS-DOS 5.0 memory management, this means DEVICEHIGH statements must appear after the HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE drivers.

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … =kb;en-us;96766 5. Make sure your CONFIG.SYS file contains a DEVICE command for […]
Show full quote

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … =kb;en-us;96766
5. Make sure your CONFIG.SYS file contains a DEVICE command for HIMEM.SYS. The command should appear before any other DEVICE commands and should look like the following

device=<path>\himem.sys

where <path> is the drive and directory where your HIMEM.SYS file currently resides. For example, if your HIMEM.SYS file is located in your DOS directory on drive C, type the following command:

device=c:\dos\himem.sys

6. Add a DEVICE command for EMM386.EXE that has the location of EMM386.EXE, that specifies you want EMM386.EXE to emulate expanded memory, and that indicates the amount of extended memory to allocate to EMM386.EXE. The following DEVICE command specifies that EMM386.EXE should use 640 kilobytes (K) of extended memory to emulate expanded memory

device=<path>\emm386.exe 640

where <path> is the drive and directory where your EMM386.EXE file currently resides. For example, if your EMM386.EXE file is located in your DOS directory on drive C, type the following command:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe 640

If you also want to run programs in the upper memory area to increase your available conventional memory, add the RAM switch to the DEVICE command. The following command specifies that EMM386.EXE should provide 640K of emulated expanded memory, and should also provide access to upper memory blocks (UMBs)

device=<path>\emm386.exe 640 ram

where <path> is the drive and directory where your EMM386.EXE file currently resides. For example, if your EMM386.EXE file is located in your DOS directory on drive C, type the following command:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe 640 ram

NOTE: Do not use the NOEMS switch; the NOEMS switch disables all support for expanded memory.

7. If you want MS-DOS to reside in the high memory area, make sure your CONFIG.SYS file contains a DOS=HIGH command (or a DOS=HIGH,UMB command if you used the RAM switch with EMM386.EXE). If the file doesn't contain one of these commands, insert the following line after the DEVICE=<path>\HIMEM.SYS command:

dos=high,umb

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 44 of 44, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok ok snower

this is from your replay:

5. Make sure your CONFIG.SYS file contains a DEVICE command for HIMEM.SYS. The command should appear before any other DEVICE commands and should look like the following.

Me: should be appear.
You are right, that other line can be in any order first second third anyhow.
But this was not only one correcture.

Thanks for your message, because i lesrn evre day new thinks.

When I was child I used to change config.sys every day. And again again ahhhhhhhhhhh.