Common searches

Aladdin

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by Robo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx, but I have one little problem.
I can't Enter Safe Mode - On Startup I keep pressing F8 but It wont go into the menu.
I succedd to enter it on my old comp - it just doesn't work on the new one.

Reply 21 of 44, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really weird. You're positive you begin tapping it just after your BIOS beeps (indicating hardware has finished loading and now the OS is), correct?

Try holding down CTRL. That, from what I've read, should also do the trick.

If all else fails, press F6. That *should* load the line-by-line verification mode.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 44, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Ooh, sexy, an IBM Aptiva BIOS. Those are fun.
Well, keep trying those keys. They're sure to work eventually... I hope...

He could hand-edit his MSDOS.SYS file. Maybe the delay for the Boot menu is set too low, or not set to appear at all. Besides, there's an entry in there to set the Boot Menu to appear automatically, if worse comes to worse.

http://users.aol.com/axcel216/msdos.htm

Ah, there it is...

Originally posted by Snover
Ooh, sexy, an IBM Aptiva BIOS. Those are fun.

As a former computer technician, I can officially say, I hated working on IBM Aptiva's because of their BIOSes. Their delay for pressing the right key was way too low, and that key seemed to change with every new model. Arrrggg...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 44, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't have to tell ME that. We (well, my dad) had a P100 Aptiva with one of those shitty mWave modem/sound card hybrids (which there was a class action against because they totally sucked -- "you're online? well then, listen to STUTTERY SOUND, MWAHAHA!") and, aside from the Aptiva update CD that incapacitated the machine for one reason or another, the BIOS was fucking impossible to work with. Granted I was only probably 9 or 10 at the time, but my god...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 44, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"NC"? If you made a boot disk you could easily change it. Boot disk loads pure DOS, which means you can then mess around with your files (including the faulty config.sys). As a matter-of-fact, you could probably use the boot disk to test the new config.sys.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 36 of 44, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As it's a DOS Tool (and 8.3 filename limited) I'll stick with my PowerDesk (It has a completely free variant "PowerDesk4Free" that has few minor tools missing).

I know there was also a Norton Navigator (which was more like a plain Windows Explorer window) and there was a NC for Windows 95/98/2000 outside the USA. Don't know any details though.

Reply 38 of 44, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, they're more like Explorer "alternatives". Except PowerDesk which can actually replace the Explorer interface if you wish. That option's only designed for Win9x, however. If your tried it on an NT OS, it would probably cause an explosion.

This all branched away from the "NC" question.

Reply 39 of 44, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use LiteStep as my shell (yummy delicious simplicity goodness...now if only I could keep the taskbar from trying to be always on top) and have been looking for a better explorer for a while, but haven't found one.

You recommend PowerDesk, then?

Yes, it’s my fault.