VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shaina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there are various ways to get the original PlayStation music back in Tomb Raider on the PC, however most methods only work for the likes of DOSBox, GOG, Steam, and GLIDOS. Are there any methods for getting it to work in the original DOS version of the game, so we can still play it on our retro rigs, but this time, with the original Playstation music added in?

Just your local tech girl!

Reply 1 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't both DOS and PSX Tomb Raider versions just use regular CD audio tracks for music? Why would a solution that works for DOSBox not work for plain DOS?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 6, by Shaina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

IIRC, DOS Tomb Raider uses CD audio for ambient sounds not music. There is no music in the game.

Exactly, which is why we want to add the music from the PSX version to the PC version, which has been done countless times.

dr_st wrote:

Don't both DOS and PSX Tomb Raider versions just use regular CD audio tracks for music? Why would a solution that works for DOSBox not work for plain DOS?

I did find one solution by KMO.
Audiopack revival
Audiopack revival

The only problem is that it's based on the Glide version of Tomb Raider. I'm not sure if it will actually work in DOS 6.22 or not, but if it does, what if one does not have a 3DFX card? How then would you play the game since this patch is based on the 3DFX version? And what if we wanted to play a different version such as PowerVR?

Just your local tech girl!

Reply 4 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is also this post which suggests that it's possible to just replace the CD tracks (but you lose the ambient sounds):
Re: Audiopack revival

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 6, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I too would like the dos exe triggers recovered, I'd much rather not have the ambient music and have the game as it was intended. 3dfx version is great to. I'd love to see this happen for tomb raider gold levels as well.