VOGONS

Common searches

Ultima Underworld...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Drogg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great forums you guys are running here. I've lurked for a month or so, and I figured maybe you guys could help me with something.

I recently decided to try and get Ultima Underworld [thus far only the first one] running under XP Professional. I downloaded an abandonware copy, Cabirus' fix and the official patch. I've set compatibility mode for UW.exe to Win95, maxed out EMS memory, and set it to run in 640x480 / 256 colors / no visual themes. Every time I've loaded it up, with or without VDMSound, I've gotten the following error:

Cannot run Underworld.
Out of EMS Memory. Error code C001

I did a search for old threads and found this . Dominus hinted that maybe EMS wouldn't be working altogether? If it wasn't, is there a way I could confirm that?

All my system specs are in my user info. Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, Dominus is referring to the fact that due to hardware conflicts, etc., some computers won't have EMS support AT ALL. If you make a VDMS-enabled Command Prompt, edit the settings so that EMS is enabled, then Run with VDMS the command prompt and type "mem /c", and you don't have EMS support, then your computer has this problem. Search our forums for other problems regarding EMS.

BTW, keep an eye on this project, it's still in its infancy though:
http://uwadv.sourceforge.net/

You may also be interested in this:
http://low.sourceforge.net/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 9, by Drogg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the links, guys. I've got some reading to do.

edit: Looks like I'm most likely out of luck unless I start using DosBox or tweaking specific memory addresses, which I'd rather avoid. I think I'll find out what specifically is causing problems, though..

Last edited by Drogg on 2002-11-12, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Drogg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Why not use DOSBox? If it works, then it works...

It works, but its very fussy -- typing any capitalized character will crash it, for example. It'll work just fine for now, I suppose, i'll get used to a bit of screen lurch and get back into the swing of things.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Err...typing capital letters in DOSBox crashes it? 😮 And this is with .56??...that is WEIRD.

What's even stranger is that unless I hold down the shift key I can't type in caps as the caps lock key is ignored for that. IOW, it's rather odd that you could type in caps by accident.

Reply 9 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

What's even stranger is that unless I hold down the shift key I can't type in caps as the caps lock key is ignored for that. IOW, it's rather odd that you could type in caps by accident.

Yeah, didn't I close this thread? 😀

I believe the CAPS issues are known - but submit a bug report if it's not in Bug Tracker yet... Oh, and check the forum: maybe they've posted that it's been fixed in CVS or something.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto