VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I looked around but couldnt find anything on this so thought I would ask. Does anyone know if there has been an attempt by anyone to add the better character portraits from the floppy version back into the CD version? An example is https://youtu.be/5rNGdMHzliM vs https://youtu.be/Jc9c4Mtdpic. Not a big deal but just curious.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, I've never even noticed this before?! I originally played KQV in EGA on the floppy version when it was new and own the big box of that first release. I later got the CD version of the game which is VGA of course and only played that version going forward. As a result I never new the portraits were different between them.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was done for SQ4. To be honest, I would just play the floppy version. The two reasons to play the CD version would be:
1. Speech (which to me, is dreadful and really only cool for nostalgia)
2. General MIDI music if you don't/can't use MT-32 MIDI (and MT-32 is better for this game, and freely available these days- also, sound effects and some music selections are better with MT-32 MIDI than the low quality digital versions used in the CD)

I imagine you want the voices. I would argue it isn't worth it. But to accomplish this, someone would need to make a patch like NewRisingSun did for the SQ4 cross edition. Probably have to be him, too, because I don't know anyone else with the ability.

Reply 3 of 6, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah my interest was due to trying to get the voices with the better portraits. I concede your point about the speech being dreadful, but as you also said it has a nostalgic value to it due to that being how I first played it back in the day. Either way thanks for letting me know it hasnt been done yet.

Reply 4 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. Basically, you should PM NewRisingSun on this forum. I highly doubt it will ever be done, but he would be far and away your best bet. Given he did the same sort of thing for a similar era game, SQ4, it may be that it is relatively straightforward to do. Let us know 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless you are very enthusiastic about running the game on an old system, then I can recommend the remakes, some of them can be seen in the link below

https://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dos-games/kings-quest

on the other hand... the original DOS EGA versions also have a certain charm I guess 😀

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 6 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CBM wrote:

Unless you are very enthusiastic about running the game on an old system, then I can recommend the remakes, some of them can be seen in the link below

Why on an old system? DOSBox and ScummVM are more than adequate to play on new systems, even non-MS OSs. After all, the site is Very Old Games On New Systems, not Very Old Games On Old Systems. 😉

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers