VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Winquake is a vanilla quake too and did support 320x200/640x400. Often those modes don't show up on modern video card drivers, […]
Show full quote

Winquake is a vanilla quake too and did support 320x200/640x400. Often those modes don't show up on modern video card drivers, but some do still have them (Intel HD for example)

and this aspect ratio stuff... stock quake always strictly calculated a 320x240 4:3 aspect FOV, and sure quake's software 2d routines don't adapt, but they did in GLQuake at one point (320x200 aspect for 2d for very early GLQuake even)

The framerate's more meant to cap around 72 than 35, and there are computers in 1996 that could achieve that high *COUGH*PENTIUM PRO*COUGH*

Know that non-integer, non-square scaling on the CPU is slow.

I was aware of this. I've actually had 320x200 and 640x400 show up on my Razer Blade 15 when it's not plugged into an external monitor. But as expected, it renders in 16:10 with square pixels instead of being corrected to 4:3.

Reply 21 of 24, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake in DOSBox or version 0.65 of TyrQuake with software renderer. Latter runs Arcane Dimensions mod in that configuration, including in Windows 95 if compiled for it.

Reply 22 of 24, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

Quake in DOSBox or version 0.65 of TyrQuake with software renderer. Latter runs Arcane Dimensions mod in that configuration, including in Windows 95 if compiled for it.

The issue is that DOSBox Quake doesn't have support for NetQuake servers that run in Windows as far as I can tell.

Reply 23 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well neither does running it natively, it's why it has that MPATH interfacing for q95.bat to give it TCP/IP. neozeed once made WattTCP DOS Quake ports to alleviate this issue under DOS. For DOSBox, have a build with the network passthrough patch and it should work.

apsosig.png

Reply 24 of 24, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Well neither does running it natively, it's why it has that MPATH interfacing for q95.bat to give it TCP/IP. neozeed once made WattTCP DOS Quake ports to alleviate this issue under DOS. For DOSBox, have a build with the network passthrough patch and it should work.

I just downloaded that build from a source ports archive on quaddicted and ran dos.bat. It said that wattcp.cfg couldn't be found and tried configuring through BOOTP, DHCP, and RARP, but they all failed. Is this just an incomplete build?

The original link for the wattcp port just leads to a dead blog post.