VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i am new to dosbox. It was recommended to me by someone from another website. I wanted the rom for the sega mega-cd rebel assualt to play on my sega emulator as i can't play the pc version on windows xp. But he suggested coming here, so here i am but i can't get rebel assualt to work. I have the original disc. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by sith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried doing what the readme.txt suggests but i am still unsure. What do i need to do with the game? I have copied all of rebel assualt's files off the disc and put it into a folder called rebel. it contains a .bat and 2 .exe plus others. Id like to just run the game from the cd if possible. my 'windows' drive is C: my 'games' drive if F: then i have d: for cd-rom then E: for cd writer. I'm hoping some of this information can help others help me?? Anyone?

Reply 2 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry but I do not understand completely...are u trying to run PC or MEGA-CD version of the game?? The later will of course not work inside DOSBox. As for PC version...it should work in dosbox (I've tried it). Mount your CD (mount d: d:\ (if D:\ is the drive letter in windows that contains game cdrom), mount some directory as c: (mount c: c:\dosbox for example - create the dosbox dir on your c drive as well) then run the game. It should work.

Reply 3 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to work okay on my XP.

I think the game installed okay, although it's the re-release in a red box with Rebel Assault 2 included.

I've got a folder c:\rebel containing the cfg file made by the game and a bat file reb.bat containing:

E:
cd \
E:\assault /x1 /c3 /b220 /i7 /d5 /s1500000 /f15 /t320 /u7

where E is my CD-ROM drive. I then use VDMSound on the bat file with default settings (not even got MSCDEX or sapucdex in it).

Ice

Reply 4 of 9, by sith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for replying! I am trying to get rebal assualt 1 pc version to run. If i can get hold of the iso rom for the sega-cd i might give up and play that one instead. Has anyone played both versions? Is there any difference? I'm not sure what version i have but it's not a re-release. Possibly the first one that came out on cd? After the floppy's??? Runs ok on windows 98 according to the box???

Reply 5 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have both PC and Mega-CD version. PC version looks lots better and has a Hoth probe droid shooting level missing from the Mega-CD version, though MCD version is slightly easier to lock-on to enemies sometimes.

I have Rebel Assault II too.

I'll check the CD-ROM to see if there are any windows help tools on there to install it easier.

Ice

Reply 6 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the readme in the FONT folder from my Rebel Assault CD-ROM.

In order to install it just double-click rebel.exe on the CD-ROM. Should run the launcher... then when you start the game the c:\rebel folder should be made so you can use VDMSound on the bat file etc.

I can test/mess with this later, too late right now! Cheers for now though, and use the force (sorry 🤣!).

Ice

Attachments

• Filename
    README.TXT
    File size
    9.87 KiB
    Downloads
    236 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by sith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i double click on the .exe (both) and i get the launcher thing. off rebel.exe i think? when i click on start game it goes black screen then back to the desktop????
I might try and download rebel assualt off a torrent site see if its the latest release thet works on xp. shame as i own the original but i can't seem to figure out what to do. i don't really know dos. and i really dont want to do a dual boot thing with 98 and xp.