VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by the cranky hermit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try anything. So far, I've tried the following:

NTVDM:
Fatal Error 286.3330: General protection fault detected.

DOSBox 6.2:
It just runs too slow and choppy on my Pentium 4 2.4Ghz machine. It runs fine at first, but the speed becomes really uneven before long. Adjusting cycles didn't help, and increasing frameskip made it worse. I guess it's playable, but it isn't fun.

Virtual PC:
I tried the trial version, and got an "Exception 14" error when trying to run Crusader.

Pure DOS:
If this is the only option, I need a bit of help to use it. My battle plan goes like this:
1: Use Partition Magic to cut 512MB off my I drive, make it into a new partition, and format it in FAT16 as my J drive.
2: Mount the partition in Virtual PC to install DOS to it from original floppies, and also copy my mouse, sound, and CD-ROM drivers.
3: Modify my boot.ini so that I can boot off the J drive.

I need help with steps 1 and 3. In step 1, whenever I do this, Partition Magic says my system must reboot before it can do anything. It reboots, and nothing happens. For step 3, how do I do that?

Reply 1 of 2, by Calboutin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you can only run DOS from the C: drive. I of installing it.. Microsoft have advice on how to install multiboot systems on thier support site somewhere.
Partition Magic should also have info on this.
Having installed multiple systems I know that the only sure way is to format then install in the order DOS..Windows95 or Win98..XP.
You need to understand files systems ..FAT FAT16..FAT32 etc and what is compatible with each although seperate partitions will overcome these to some extent.
But as I said I think DOS must be on the C drive

Reply 2 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

hermit, you might find something in here to help you with dual booting: Dual boot

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions