VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a new and updated engine for playing SSI Gold Box games a-la EXULT and ScummVM? While later games have had a lot of their quirks worked out the earlier games are incredibly clunky and inaccessible, I was wondering if there was a better way to re-play them..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 1, by ischeriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if this is what you're looking for because these are not new engines or re-creations of these games but tools to make playing them easier.

I have seen the "Gold Box Companion"

Gold Box Companion is a tool for all the Gold Box games plus Unlimited Adventures and the two SSI's Buck Rogers games. It offers automapping, easy-to-use journal entries and helps with some of the interface issues to make playing a little less tedious.

and "The All-Seeing Eye" (and ASE3)

The All-Seeing Eye is an automapper for the PC MS-DOS versions of the first two EOB games, meant to be used with DOSBox on a Windows PC. It shows a real-time updated dungeon map on a separate window. The map is revealed as you explore.

but I have used neither.

Then there is Grid Cartographer, which has a "Game Link" feature, that supports some of the Gold Box games, among others.

Game Link is a feature of Grid Cartographer that allows games to be played in split-screen via emulation and, for selected titles, automatically tracks where you are in a game and shows it to you in the map editor. [...] Game Link is not the same thing as an auto-map.