VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

it's christmas and I got finally some spare time to tinker around with my old 486 PC 😀 (see signature #1)

Got almost all my favorite old games running now, but Alien Carnage (aka Halloween Harry) resists all my attempts so far.
MEM says 578k free which should suffice for the most games.

When runnig the carnage.exe it simply skips back to dos screen without any result or error message.
I have searched, but couldn't find any cmd line paras to get it running (like '-vga' etc.).

I also tried setting the 486 to 40 MHz but that didn't work either - maybe I need some slowdown tool?

It would be great if anyone could give some advice 😉

Best wishes & a happy new year

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The AC-HELP.EXE that comes with the freeware release says you need at least 517k of free conventional memory to play the game (561k to play with SoundBlaster music and effects), so you should have enough memory to play the game.

Try starting the game with 'carnage info'. It should show you the game version as well as the current settings (SoundBlaster configuration etc.).

It's possible that your copy of Alien Carnage got corrupted at some point (disk errors or a virus) so you might also want to check your system just in case. Also make sure that all the HARRY*.-0 files are present in the game directory. Those are all renamed executable files, each responsible for different aspects of the game. If one of them is missing, then the game won't work correctly. You can still get the original freeware release of Alien Carnage from the old 3D Realms website without having to create a user account or anything like that. Copy those files onto your system (perhaps into a different folder) and see if that version works correctly on your system.

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to say that this game needs FILES=30 in CONFIG.SYS , I have had this issue with some game that I am almost sure it was Halloween Harry ... give it a shot if you don't have the FILES line , could be complete bs though and I remember wrong!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried several versions of the game and settings for config.sys - unfortunately both didn't work.

Tried several versions from different sources and all known parameters (/c, info, slowpal, nopage) but nothing happend - the game simply won't respond 🙁
Here the result with HH1.exe, but all other versions are no different:

P1170009.JPG
Filename
P1170009.JPG
File size
15.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Booting without mouse and CD support didn't change anything either 🙁
And the sound parameters are also OK.

Maybe it's something else hidden in the config.sys or autoexec.bat?

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM D=32
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=40
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=F
FCBS=4,0
DOS=HIGH
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,26928 =C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
COUNTRY=049,850,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\TOOLS\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
STACKS=9,256

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\TOOLS\NC;C:\TOOLS\TP;C:\TOOLS\TP\UTILS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q
LH /L:0 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
LH /L:2,912 KEYB2 GR,,C:\DOS\KEYB2.SYS
LH /L:1,32096 MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /m:8
LH /L:0;2,3104 /S C:\TOOLS\CTM\CTM-DE.EXE

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would suspect corruption of the game, but you say you tried several versions...

Try running it in safe mode (press F5 when DOS starts booting to skip config files).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got it - and yes, it seems that (all) the exe files were corrupted.

In any previous attempt I first unpacked the ZIP files on my Win 10 machine and then burned an ISO/UDF CD from this files*.
Never had any problems with this approach until, but somehow in this special case this must have rendered the files unusable.
Now I've just burned the ZIP file and uncopressed in under DOS and voilà, that did the trick 😀
... but still don't understand why.

Many thanks to all & best wishes for 2020

***case closed***

* JFYI: the file attributes ("read only" and "archive") were always removed after copying the files from CD.

Last edited by ildonaldo on 2020-01-01, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

glad you found the issue!!!
well it might worth to install a NIC on your retropc and use mTCP's FTPserver to transfer files from modern-pc -> retro-pc
certainly faster and less hassle than burning cds

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 7, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, this CD burnig business is a bit annoying but on the other hand the 486 is my only machine I have to do this.
All others (with Windows 95 or later) are network-ready or have USB 😀