VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by spartan17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know xp usually isnt meant for dos, but when i do a full reboot of my computer, it can play dos games fines...but somewhere down the line something happens after like a month or so. everytime i try to run any kind of dos program i keep getting this same message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

E:\_INST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS|SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application

close ignore

the E:\_INST.EXE is just the file i clicked (part of REDNECK RAMPAGE)

dos games used to work for my xp, but for some reason i start getting this message, and it will only work after ive rebooted again...whats causing it?
my basic specs.

512 sddram
3.0 HT pentium 4
service pack 1 (i think service pack 2 just makes things worse.)
radeon 9800 xt 256

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A virus.
Spyware.
A fluke in Windows.
A failing hard drive.
Who knows?
The solution is to copy C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\AUTOEXEC.NT into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\.
If Service Pack 2 makes things worse, you've definitely got some spyware problems going on. QUIT USING INTERNET EXPLORER!@#$

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by spartan17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm...when i try to run installer, i get an empty dos box with no type...on the top it says ntvdm-edc.eBc.3e0001 ... i have to force this box to shut... so you mean to say the problem could be thanks to some damn spyware? i swear, go to one website....theres a sudden slow down, and my computer is dying with adware.

Reply 3 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. That is why I said:
Quit using Internet Explorer! 😀
Anyway that is another tangent for another day.

NTVDM will create random names for itself when you execute a DOS program directly by double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer. This is normal. If the program isn't running... that's a result of the program not running, for whatever reason. Try copying CONFIG.NT out of REPAIR, too.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 7, by spartan17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ALL RIGHT!!! DOS WORKS AGAIN!!! but...

having trouble getting the game to start. what i did was load the batch exe file with VDMS default settings. it got down to the point where the games checking off every file, then wher its supposed to go to the main menu it just hangs. im sorry, im still pretty newb to VDSM, but according to some post they got this game to work fine with it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is not surprising, since there are hacks that you need to use to get it to work. Please do a little searching and a lot of reading.
Keywords: REDNECK RAMPAGE, BLOOD, DUKE NUKEM 3D, BUILD

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 7, by spartan17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so far ive got it working, sound & 8-track playing really well! its just that ingame speed is slowed. its not choppy but just slow. but whenever i hold down a button like the use key or the quick pee button it smooths out. is the only way for me to play going to involve constantly holding my hand at a funny angle, or is there a way to fix it?