VOGONS

Common searches

GOG Redguard Performance

Topic actions

First post, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No matter what I try, I can't get Redguard to run with decent framerate. It's playabe but choppy. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Reply 1 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Opaque79 wrote on 2020-05-03, 16:13:

No matter what I try

Perhaps you could say what you have tried already rather than leaving people to suggest things that you've already ruled out?

I see there is already some discussion in the GOG forums.
https://www.gog.com/forum/elder_scrolls_serie … to_fix_redguard

Reply 2 of 60, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good point. I tried all that in that thread. Tried dgVoodoo, tried a different version of nglide and tried various dosbox settings. Nothing has helped.

I think the biggest thing is the framerate drops. Indoor areas aren't too bad but outdoor areas are a nightmare

Reply 3 of 60, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How did you measure the frame rate for Redguard?

I could get 60FPS from QEMU measured by QEMU stats on frame time but the game world looked like "Matrix" slow-motion action. This only happens on Windows with WHPX acceleration. Going back to TCG without WHPX acceleration, the same QEMU stats logged 15~17FPS, but the game felt normal. It requires high specs, high single-core clocked to get good performance, typical for any emulation. It is not the only game that exhibits such peculiarity, I have found others (Blood 3Dfx, Severance: Blade of Darkness) having the same problem running at >60FPS. I believe this happens when the game has built-in frame time adjustment to cater for playable feels on more widely available systems at the time, and on some emulation, running too fast breaks the logic of such frame time adjustment.

Surprisingly, Linux KVM does not have this problem. Check this out. The frame rate rarely dropped below 60FPS and the game felt absolutely smooth, even on thin and light ultrabooks/laptops.

Reply 5 of 60, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-03, 19:34:

Surprisingly, Linux KVM does not have this problem. Check this out. The frame rate rarely dropped below 60FPS and the game felt absolutely smooth, even on thin and light ultrabooks/laptops.

this would mean Linux KVM sucks cause it can barely do more than 60fps
the game somehow works nicely with 60fps and below
the more you go beyond 60 the more slow down you get

you can have even more fun with redguard when you disable fog and enlarge view distance

Reply 6 of 60, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-03, 19:34:

I could get 60FPS from QEMU measured by QEMU stats on frame time but the game world looked like "Matrix" slow-motion action. This only happens on Windows with WHPX acceleration.

matrix doesn't happen if you run in dos if you set high refresh rate in dgvoodoo2

btw you didn't said if kvm was in dos or windows

Reply 8 of 60, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe the games animations are made at a very low framerate if you will, probably below 30 if I remember correctly. I last played it on a voodoo3 with a p3 450 and it ran ok.. not great though

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 12 of 60, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Opaque79 wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:39:

According to reviews on GOG, the GOG version of Redguard just has bad performance in general

Bethesda of the day had bad performance in general with their in house X-Ray engine.

Reply 15 of 60, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2022-06-15, 11:50:

your cpu is just too slow for this game in dosbox
but in qemu it will be fine (there are other problems there though)

A Ryzen 7 2700X is too slow?

Many users on GOG complained of the same symptoms.

Unless Redguard is supposed to run at less than 15 fps, I don't see this being correct