VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found this CD which I'd lost a long time ago. Obviously, it doesn't work (whimper).

VDMSOUND - I get an error which says no media has been loaded (even with that CD-rom option in VDMs)

DOSBOX - Really weird, install quits with a message saying "Hey Beavis, there's a Music CD loaded!".

Reading the DOSBox page, I found the following note for the game -

"CD-ROM version. Troubles with install. Installed game works good with all sounds, but with not much fps. (run on P4-2GHz/WinXP)"

Oh, "troubles with install"? Really? Thanks a bunch. Now how about telling mw HOW to get past those troubles?

Well, can anyone help?

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 19, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if you are interested, but the game is now available for Windows at http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/

Also, if you want to stick with the DOS version, you might running the install from Windows, and then turn off the sound. Run it in DOSBOX and then try adjusting the sound settings. That is a backdoor way of doing some DOS based game installs, but it doesn't work for all of them. Give it a try.

Another backdoor way is to manually install. If the game is not compressed on the CD then you can sometimes manually copy the files and edit the config file. Then run it from DOSBOX. It should work in DOSBOX (possibly without all the sound or music).

Try these and let us know.

Reply 2 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Really? Thanks a bunch. Now how about telling mw HOW to get past those troubles?

Now, how about telling US something?

Release date for this game?
Platform (OS) you are using?
What did you do when you tried to install it?
Copy of the VDMSound config (Open the LaunchPad shortcut in Notepad)?
Copy of DOSBox config?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hazekel - Thanks for the link, but I really don't want to buy another copy of the game I already own... and I tried your 2nd suggestion too. It didn't work because the game requires a config file that seems to be created only with install.exe.

MiniMax - Oh sorry, I tend to forget these things...

GAME: 1994
WHAT I DID:
I ran the INSTALL.EXE program, which is the only such program in the whole CD. I tired it with VDMSound and got the aforemention error, and tried it with DOSBox and, again, aforementioned error.
I tried copping the whole thing to a drive and running install from there. No go.
I also tried putting the file "install.exe" inside the folder called "GAME", which contains all game data (outide that folder the only things are a folder called DEMO, the install.exe thingy and a bat file called DEMOS, anyway). No go.
VDMS: 2.1.0
DOSBox: 0.62

BTW, I know there's a newer version of DOSBox, but apparently this game should run fine even with 0.61

--Donnie Darko

Reply 4 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
redruM wrote:
WHAT I DID: I ran the INSTALL.EXE program, which is the only such program in the whole CD. I tired it with VDMSound and got […]
Show full quote

WHAT I DID:
I ran the INSTALL.EXE program, which is the only such program in the whole CD. I tired it with VDMSound and got the aforemention error,

<snip>

VDMSOUND - I get an error which says no media has been loaded (even with that CD-rom option in VDMs)

That would be the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)" option?

I do not know why it thinks there is no media loaded. But I guess it is some kind of copy-protection. Fits well with the message the game emits when run inside DOSBox: "Hey Beavis, there's a Music CD loaded!" (at least the authors had a sense of humour 😀 ).

How did you mount to CD inside DOSBox? Which options did you use?

redruM wrote:

VDMS: 2.1.0

There is no such thing. Sure it is not 2.1.0ß ?

redruM wrote:

DOSBox: 0.62

BTW, I know there's a newer version of DOSBox, but apparently this game should run fine even with 0.61

I REALLY think you should install 0.63.

Reply 5 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I'll be! DOSBox 0.63 installed it flawlessly! Thank you and thank you and thank you again!

EDIT - Nope. False alarm. I can't run the game.

The VDMSound version I'm using: yeah. it might be a "b" version... I don't know, I just copied/pasted the number at the top of the "CHANGES.TXT" file.

When running the game with no emulation system, I get the same message as the one I get with VDMSound - "Cannot initialize scene cache".

I don't want to have to play this with DOSBox, because it ALWAYS screws up the sound in my system, but I tried it nevertheless, and it said "Speech error: Detection System Failed to Find Hardware."

Hmmmm, wonder what can I do at this stage...

--Donnie Darko

Reply 8 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

redruM - did Qbix say anything about disabling sound being the FINAL solution? Or could it be a step in determing 1) Where the game is stumbling, 2) How to work around the problem???

Reply 9 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, MiniMax. Sorry, Qbix. Minimax, I get the feeling that you're kinda... "angry" is too strong a word, but "displeased" might be it, with me. Probably because of the sarcasm in my first post. I apologize, I was just too stressed - I played this game a lot and have very fond memories of it, and not being able to play it now that I found the CD again tends to leave me... bitterly sarcastic. Too much, probably. Again, I apologize.

That did the trick - meaning, the game does run. Well, after I ran the install program and set the music and sound FX to "none", of course - previous to THAT it gave a "Can't find music card" error. And I note that even with the sound configured to be OFF in the game's configuration, it still gives the same error in VDMSound. Does this help?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 10 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm okay as you said it was a cdrom game
i would suggest that you type "intro cdrom" in dosbox
Try using one of the lower methods and then try with sound configuration again. (set them to soundblaster 16 if available)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops, I forgot to mention something important - in my DOSConf, I have, in autoexec,

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
mount C C:\
C:

...so that suggestion had already been tried, sorry bout that. Out of curiosity, I tried a simple "mount d D:\ -t cdrom", but that didn't work either. I did try with the sb16 settings - still no go...

...my PC seems to hate DOSBox. I haven't yet managed to play a single game in it. Some run, but even those are jerky and the sound breaks up. Changing the game cycles seems to affect that, but I never get rid of the problem. This is why I've been mostly sticking to VDMSound.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 12 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have just seen these patches:

Attachments

• Filename
    inher_cd.zip
    File size
    277.69 KiB
    Downloads
    179 downloads
    File comment
    Inherit the Earth UPGRADE (CD VERSION)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    instite.zip
    File size
    40.26 KiB
    Downloads
    175 downloads
    File comment
    Inherit the Earth INSTALL FIX
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Argh. I wish I could say it helped, but it didn't. But I DID notice something.

When using VDMS, most times there's just the aforementioned error. BUT, occasionally - usually on the first time I try to run it after a long while - I get a message, on my windows taskbar, saying something about the virtual memory being too low. I couldn't catch that all, it went away quickly and I can't make it appear whenever I wish... does this help?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 15 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, got it working! I went to the official forums, and got some help. Seems like I had to configure other things in DOSBox. Thank'yall anyway!

--Donnie Darko

Reply 17 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'll link to the thread that helped me. I still had problems later, though, and it other people still have it, try, in the dosbox conf file, setting "scaller=none" and "core=dynamic". Then fiddle with the cycles until you're happy.

http://www.wyrmkeep.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17

--Donnie Darko

Reply 18 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you. BTW: I have reading that thread and they aren't doing anything fancy to run ITE using DOSBox under Windows XP; at least I don't see it. Maybe the (core= full; GUS=false). 😕