VOGONS

Common searches

Crystal Maze

Topic actions

First post, by turkey_ni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded The Crystal Maze game from gamecollect.net and cannot get it to work no matter what I try.

I've attempted to use DosBox but with no success. However, this may be due to my limited programming knowledge. I followed a couple of guides, and the best I got was a blank screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Has anyone got the game working using DosBox before or by any other means?? If u could explain it in non-technical terms too, I would be very grateful, as I am by no means up to speed on programming languages.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.

Cheers,

Scott.

Reply 4 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair the title of the forum does read:

DOS
Getting old DOS games working.

Doesn't mention Real DOS, NTVDM, PCDOS, VPC, Dosbox, or any other DOS really.

Perhaps in their eagerness to get their problem fixed they don't read the posts in the forum before posting themselves?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 13, by turkey_ni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks ribbon13, I'll try that now.

As for anyone who thinks I didn't read the post DO NOT POST TOPICS ABOUT DOSBOX HERE. I did!!!!!!!

My query was how do you get the crystal maze game to work, and I then said that I had tried to use DosBox to get it to work.

As DosFreak said:

The title of this forum does read "getting old Dos games working".

This is an old Dos game, which doesn't work on my PC, so that's why I posted about it here!!!

Reply 7 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let us know if you get it to work.

I agree that some of the forums overlap in their scope, and that this can create ambiguity, confusion, etc. On VOGONS, it's kind of an informal rule that anything mentioning DOSBox should be posted in one of the DOSBox forums (in case, I suppose, someone who knows a lot about DOSBox doesn't read the general DOS forums).

Reply 8 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well if something is posted wrong we have moderators to move the posts. So it shouldn't matter that much.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 13, by turkey_ni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!

Thank you very much ribbon13.

However, you are now responsible for me having to play this game 24-7!!!!! 😁 😁 😁

PS. Does anybody know how to get out of rooms when the tick-tock noise comes in????? I either seem to complete the game or get locked in!! 🙁

Any more help would be appreciated. (Links to the manual etc.)

Reply 11 of 13, by turkey_ni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been to that site loads of times b4. It really is a top fan-site, but unfortunately does not refer to the PC game anywhere, as far as I know, and hardly any of the links work!!!!!

On the PC game, when you play on the proper mode i.e. NOT the "play the games as many times as you like mode", I can't get out of the rooms unless I complete the game or fail it miserably. Otherwise the 5 second timer comes in, and I frantically press every button on my keyboard in a bid to escape. There must be a way to get out, and it is that what I want to know.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply 12 of 13, by sicklittlemonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey turkey_ni.

I think it might be ctrl-esc to get out of the games without getting trapped.
Who knew M$ would screw things up a few years later.
I'll try to get the source code and check.

Cheers
Nick Westgate. (Co-author - apologies ;-)

Reply 13 of 13, by turkey_ni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've worked it out!!!

It seems to be the left ctrl + alt + esc pressed together, which gets you out in time. 😁 😁 😁

Cheers to everyone who has helped me!!!

P.S. Congratulations Nick on a really excellent game. It has brought back so many brilliant memories of a show I used to adore as a kid.

Ah, nostalgia!!!