First post, by NovaFiddler
At this time, im exepreiencing odd behavior from my computer. Its as follows:
P3 1.2GHz Tualatin
Tripple Boots DOS 7.1, Windows 98, and Windows XP. All drives remain hidden from each other except for a "Games" directory, which is accessible to every O/S instance.
FX5900 (works fine with vesa fix patch) - this replaced a quadro FX 2000, which was almost as awesome.
MSI 690t motherboard with the apollo chipset. - all unecessary ports are disabled including usb (add in card for 2.0 installed) and onboard sound is disabled.
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (PCI)
Soundblaster AWE64 (ISA)
**FYSA, I have the following sound cards at my disposal :
AWE32 (Short version with simm slots)
Awe32 (LONG version with simm slots)
Gravis Ultrasound PnP v1.0 <- Does work - nothing but problems when compared to soundblaster!
Soundblaster Pro v1.0 with "all of the fixings"
Ensoniq (Gateway OEM)
When I launch the setup for Tyrian 2000, I cannot set the Midi to port 330 (which my awe64 is running on). When I select that output, my entire computer locks instantly. What I've tried thus far:
1) Tried interchanging "RAM" and "NOEMS" options. NOEMS broke everything, and RAM allows others to work.
2) Tried XMGR. This loaded fine, but I cannot get most of my games to play using XMGR.
3) Tried XMGR and UMBPCI. This combo worked, but no game launches whatsoever! In fact, when i try to launch a game, it either locks up instantly or resets the computer instantly. What was I smoking to try this method?
4) Tried HIMEMX. This is what actually got Tyrian 2000 to load correctly with FM music. Duke3d (plays midi great), quake (no sound whatsoever), lost vikings (ordinary sound, no midi) runs
5) I cannot change the address of the midi port and I cannot find any clear direction on how i would even go about this in dos. Changing it in windows works only in windows.
6) Verified my MIDI/BLASTER option was set.
It looks like Tyrian 2000 only supports general midi. Is there something I'm doing wrong or any suggestions? At this point, it looks like Duke Nukem is the only title I can get working with midi output 🙁
If you guys would like to see any of my config files, just let me know and I'll post them here.'
EDIT: Looks like JEMM386 fixed my problem instantly. Sound in quake works great now as well!