First post, by NovaFiddler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

At this time, im exepreiencing odd behavior from my computer. Its as follows:

P3 1.2GHz Tualatin
512MB Memory
Tripple Boots DOS 7.1, Windows 98, and Windows XP. All drives remain hidden from each other except for a "Games" directory, which is accessible to every O/S instance.
FX5900 (works fine with vesa fix patch) - this replaced a quadro FX 2000, which was almost as awesome.
MSI 690t motherboard with the apollo chipset. - all unecessary ports are disabled including usb (add in card for 2.0 installed) and onboard sound is disabled.
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (PCI)
Soundblaster AWE64 (ISA)

**FYSA, I have the following sound cards at my disposal :
AWE32 (Short version with simm slots)
Awe32 (LONG version with simm slots)
Gravis Ultrasound PnP v1.0 <- Does work - nothing but problems when compared to soundblaster!
Soundblaster Pro v1.0 with "all of the fixings"
Ensoniq S-2000
Ensoniq (Gateway OEM)

When I launch the setup for Tyrian 2000, I cannot set the Midi to port 330 (which my awe64 is running on). When I select that output, my entire computer locks instantly. What I've tried thus far:

1) Tried interchanging "RAM" and "NOEMS" options. NOEMS broke everything, and RAM allows others to work.
2) Tried XMGR. This loaded fine, but I cannot get most of my games to play using XMGR.
3) Tried XMGR and UMBPCI. This combo worked, but no game launches whatsoever! In fact, when i try to launch a game, it either locks up instantly or resets the computer instantly. What was I smoking to try this method?
4) Tried HIMEMX. This is what actually got Tyrian 2000 to load correctly with FM music. Duke3d (plays midi great), quake (no sound whatsoever), lost vikings (ordinary sound, no midi) runs
5) I cannot change the address of the midi port and I cannot find any clear direction on how i would even go about this in dos. Changing it in windows works only in windows.
6) Verified my MIDI/BLASTER option was set.

It looks like Tyrian 2000 only supports general midi. Is there something I'm doing wrong or any suggestions? At this point, it looks like Duke Nukem is the only title I can get working with midi output 🙁

If you guys would like to see any of my config files, just let me know and I'll post them here.'

EDIT: Looks like JEMM386 fixed my problem instantly. Sound in quake works great now as well!

Last edited by NovaFiddler on 2020-07-14, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MSI 690T is an AM2 board, so I assume that's a typo .

That said, when running under real-mode DOS (not in a Windows DOS box), I imagine that you are not initializing the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (PCI), as that would be a potential source of conflicts with the AWE64 .

The way the AWE64 initialization works, the settings configured in Windows 9x are written to a file that is then used by the DOS initialization utility ( CTCM.EXE). Having a separate DOS 7.1 bootable environment prevents that from working . As a workaround, you could try copying c:\windows\CTPNP.CFG into a manually created c:\windows directory on your DOS 7.1 boot environment .

In the long run, to avoid such issues with AWE64 settings changes (and possibly others), I suggest you get rid of the DOS 7.1 boot environment and just use the Windows 9x one along with a BOOTMENU, if you need a different config for real mode DOS than for actual Windows . I also suggest you consider disable automatic Windows starting by modifiying MSDOS.SYS . That way you can easily access real mode DOS when needed and just start Windows with the "win" command . You should even be able start Windows in one of your BOOTMENU configs by appending the win command to it .

EDIT: Another option is to use Unisound to initialize your AWE64 to the settings you want in your DOS 7.1 boot environment independently of your Windows 98 one .

EDIT2: I just tried Tyrian 2000 on an AWE64 connected to an SC-88VL and configured to port 330h . Everything works fine . Machine is a P3 1400 512K on a 815EP board with two other sound cards .

Reply 2 of 4, by NovaFiddler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-14, 21:07:
The MSI 690T is an AM2 board, so I assume that's a typo . […]
Show full quote

That said, when running under real-mode DOS (not in a Windows DOS box), I imagine that you are not initializing the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (PCI), as that would be a potential source of conflicts with the AWE64 .

The way the AWE64 initialization works, the settings configured in Windows 9x are written to a file that is then used by the DOS initialization utility ( CTCM.EXE). Having a separate DOS 7.1 bootable environment prevents that from working . As a workaround, you could try copying c:\windows\CTPNP.CFG into a manually created c:\windows directory on your DOS 7.1 boot environment .

In the long run, to avoid such issues with AWE64 settings changes (and possibly others), I suggest you get rid of the DOS 7.1 boot environment and just use the Windows 9x one along with a BOOTMENU, if you need a different config for real mode DOS than for actual Windows . I also suggest you consider disable automatic Windows starting by modifiying MSDOS.SYS . That way you can easily access real mode DOS when needed and just start Windows with the "win" command . You should even be able start Windows in one of your BOOTMENU configs by appending the win command to it .

EDIT: Another option is to use Unisound to initialize your AWE64 to the settings you want in your DOS 7.1 boot environment independently of your Windows 98 one .

EDIT2: I just tried Tyrian 2000 on an AWE64 connected to an SC-88VL and configured to port 330h . Everything works fine . Machine is a P3 1400 512K on a 815EP board with two other sound cards .

You're right, my motherboard is a MSI 694T. I'll try to remove my sound blaster PCI and see if that changes anything.

EDIT: Didn't change anything. I use BootIT. The windows 98 and Dos 7.1 are (2) seperate instances on 2 seperate partitions. When the Dos 7.1 option is selected, the windows 98 partition is disabled (hidden from dos). I took your advice and I was able to copy the ctpnp.cfg and map the awe64 to 330h, but again it still hangs. FM and AWE audio modes work GREAT... I wonder if it's my card? I'll post my autoexec.bat and config.sys. Would you mind glancing over them?

Here is my CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\ECHO.SYS W/e/l/c/o/m/e /t/o MS-DOS 7.10...
DEVICE=C:\DOS\ECHO.SYS C/o/p/y/r/i/g/h/t M/i/c/r/o/s/o/f/t C/o/r/p. A/l/l /r/i/g/h/t/s /r/e/s/e/r/v/e/d.
REM DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEMX.EXE /MAX=32768 /X2MAX32
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\POWER.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IDE-CD
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(,,1)
COUNTRY=001,437,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:640
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FCBS=4,0
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20,0
LASTDRIVE=26
STACKS=9,256
SET PATH=C:\DOS;..;C:\SB16;C:\CTCM;C:\GRAVIS\PCGPPro;C:\GRAVIS\GRAVUTIL;

Here is my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:E MODE:1
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
REM C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
SET DIRCMD=/4
MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1
REM MODE CON CP PREPARE=((437)EGA.CPI)
REM MODE CON CP SELECT=437
REM KEYB US,,KEYBOARD.SYS
LH KILLER
LH DOSKEY
LH DOSLFN /Z:C:\DOS\CP437UNI.TBL
LH MSCDEX /D:IDE-CD
LH SHARE /L:30
REM LH NLSFUNC
REM LH SMARTDRV
LH CTMOUSE
REM For compatiblity purpose:
LH CTMOUSE > NUL
ECHO.
REM For locking volumes to enable "direct disk access":
CALL LOCKDRV.BAT
BREAK ON
LFNFOR ON
ECHO Now you are in MS-DOS 7.10 prompt. Type 'HELP' for help.
ECHO.

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NovaFiddler wrote on 2020-07-14, 21:54:
You're right, my motherboard is a MSI 694T. I'll try to remove my sound blaster PCI and see if that changes anything. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

You're right, my motherboard is a MSI 694T. I'll try to remove my sound blaster PCI and see if that changes anything.

EDIT: Didn't change anything. I use BootIT. The windows 98 and Dos 7.1 are (2) seperate instances on 2 seperate partitions. When the Dos 7.1 option is selected, the windows 98 partition is disabled (hidden from dos). I took your advice and I was able to copy the ctpnp.cfg and map the awe64 to 330h, but again it still hangs. FM and AWE audio modes work GREAT... I wonder if it's my card? I'll post my autoexec.bat and config.sys. Would you mind glancing over them?

Here is my CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\ECHO.SYS C/o/p/y/r/i/g/h/t M/i/c/r/o/s/o/f/t C/o/r/p. A/l/l /r/i/g/h/t/s /r/e/s/e/r/v/e/d.
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FCBS=4,0
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20,0
LASTDRIVE=26
STACKS=9,256

Here is my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
SET DIRCMD=/4
MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1
LH KILLER
LH DOSKEY
REM LH NLSFUNC
REM LH SMARTDRV
LH CTMOUSE
LH CTMOUSE > NUL
ECHO.
CALL LOCKDRV.BAT
BREAK ON
LFNFOR ON
ECHO.

If Duke Nukem 3D works with the AWE64 MIDI port set to 330h and produces music through SC-55mkII, then your sound card is probably fine .

As a test, I suggest trying with this minimalist setup . If that works, you can start re-adding stuff to see what makes it break . I put back himem.sys instead of himemx.exe because that works for me, but feel free to try with either .
By the way, I took the liberty of putty your SET PATH= statement in your autoexec.bat, where it belongs .

Your SET CTCM= should be set to the directory which contains the ctpnp.cfg file . In this case, CTPNP.EXE does not care because it is being loaded in config.sys, but if you want to able able to run CTCM.EXE from the DOS prompt, the variable should set correctly .

CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
ECHO .

Reply 4 of 4, by NovaFiddler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-14, 23:07:
If Duke Nukem 3D works with the AWE64 MIDI port set to 330h and produces music through SC-55mkII, then your sound card is probab […]
Show full quote
NovaFiddler wrote on 2020-07-14, 21:54:
You're right, my motherboard is a MSI 694T. I'll try to remove my sound blaster PCI and see if that changes anything. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Here is my CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FCBS=4,0
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20,0
LASTDRIVE=26
STACKS=9,256

Here is my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
SET DIRCMD=/4
MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1
LH KILLER
LH DOSKEY
REM LH NLSFUNC
REM LH SMARTDRV
LH CTMOUSE
LH CTMOUSE > NUL
ECHO.
CALL LOCKDRV.BAT
BREAK ON
LFNFOR ON
ECHO.

If Duke Nukem 3D works with the AWE64 MIDI port set to 330h and produces music through SC-55mkII, then your sound card is probably fine .

As a test, I suggest trying with this minimalist setup . If that works, you can start re-adding stuff to see what makes it break . I put back himem.sys instead of himemx.exe because that works for me, but feel free to try with either .
By the way, I took the liberty of putty your SET PATH= statement in your autoexec.bat, where it belongs .

Your SET CTCM= should be set to the directory which contains the ctpnp.cfg file . In this case, CTPNP.EXE does not care because it is being loaded in config.sys, but if you want to able able to run CTCM.EXE from the DOS prompt, the variable should set correctly .

CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
ECHO .

Thank you for the advice! I'll try this minimal config this evening.