VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In games like day of the tenatcle and sam n max, why does the speech just go silent after the first 5 minutes. Am I low on a certain type of memory like extended or what? How can I fix this?

Reply 1 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the top of each forum is an entry that says:
Important: Follow These Guidelines When Submitting Help Requests, It asks you to post things like processor, RAM, video card, your OS, etc...

The reason we ask this is because it's usually directly related to your problem. Otherwise, we are just guessing. You might also try using quick search at the top of the page to search for earlier posts on these games. It also helps to specify whether you have the floppy or CD versions of a game.

Reply 2 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ScummVM (the latest daily build) runs fine with Sam'N'Max except for the less-than-occasional graphic glitches (uh, ScummVM dude? (Sorry, I've forgotten your handle. You should come here more often -- then I'd remember it 😉) Shed some light on that one? DOSBox uses SDL, so do other things, and they don't do funky tearing like ScummVM.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you're in the worst of situations. Your PC is probably too fast to run the originals properly, but I think it's too slow to run tools like ScummVM.

If you're using the CD originals and they work, but only for five minutes, that's a new "symptom" I haven't heard of...

LucasArts could fix this easily by re-compiling the originals into Win32 executables, but they just keep re-releasing the DOS originals.

Reply 5 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ME on a P133 with 48mb of RAM??!! Shudder. Plz, plz, plz, plz, PLZ wipe it and install 98SE like...RIGHT NOW.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak ME on a P133 with 48mb of RAM??!!

You know, I guess I was falling asleep when I read that. Since 64MB or more is what 98SE wants, you can safely bet that ME wants more. At 48 MB, WinME is probably thrashing the virtual memory. Not good.

If you have Win98 or Win98SE available, those would be better for your PC. If not, you might see about adding memory (PC100 and PC133 memory are dirt-cheap nowadays). Your best bet is a new computer system but, of course, that calls for real cash.

Reply 7 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If he got Win98SE and booted into pure DOS mode the game would work without a hitch on a P133. (Actually, it would probably run fine in a DOS shell too. I had a P2-266 that ran them all fine. Hell, even my K7-700 ran them fine.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 17, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

p1 windows me
48 mb ram
sb64
matrox millenium

yeah windows me runs pretty slow too, i really want to downgrade it to win98, any of u guys know of a site i can download it from, cause it still costs 200 bucks at staples.

Reply 10 of 17, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

or u think i should drop the hammer and install windows 3x, hehe
THis is just my spare computer, i got a 1.6 dell on the side and use file sharing, but my main interest for this 133 computer is simply for old games like day of the tentacle, wing commander, strike commander, us navy fighters, etc. I deleted everythign else, like microsoft office etc. With that in mind u think i should do windows 98 95 or 3x
and if so, where can i download them

Reply 13 of 17, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey snover, one more question, i downloaded win 98se. I'm sorry for asking, but how do i delete winme and install win98se
i tried running setup on the win98se file but it says it's incompatible.

do i just go to dos and hit format c:/s and then reboot and run that win98se setup or what?
plz help me

Reply 14 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rtg7 wrote:

how do i delete winme and install win98se

Umm, yeah. I'm just gonna presume you have a legitimate serial number for that as you know it's required shortly after you start the install.

do i just go to dos and hit format c:/s and then reboot and run that win98se setup or what?

Not a good sign. Presuming again that you've performed an OS install before, the most important question would have to be is all your data backed up to a safe place (CD's or other partitions)?

If your hard drive has only one partition, then you are hosed. You'll lose everything when you re-format, including your "downloaded" W98 files.

If you have multiple partitions, you need to back up everything on the C: drive that you want to keep, usually moving them to other partitions. You'll also need to remember where your Win98 files are (best to keep them in someplace like D:\W98). You would need a bootdisk (http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm -> Windows 98 OEM) and then format the C: drive using the /s parameter
(FORMAT C: /S)

When it finishes formatting, eject the disk and reboot. You go the Win98 directory and start up SETUP.EXE.

Note that this is minimal description. If you don't know this stuff already, I recommend you jump over to http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ and take a look at their install guides.

Reply 15 of 17, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sweet, i just finished installing windows 98se
runs soo much faster, thanks man
only weird thing is my windows directory is windows.001, hehe
cause i had windows me at the same time, i already delete all of windows me though
anyways,
i just wanted some fresh reminders on config.sys and autoexec.bat
if i wanted to free up some memory say to play privateer,
i would put on all the lines in config.sys
device=xxxxx
and change them into
devicehigh=xxxxx
right?
i already made the boot disk to start in dos with cd drive enabled,
but why can't i check mem under c:\?
anyways, u don't have to respond, just wanted to let u know i safely transfered to windows 98se and thanks for ur help

Reply 16 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rtg7 wrote:

only weird thing is my windows directory is windows.001, hehe
cause i had windows me at the same time, i already delete all of windows me though

Not a good thing, your boot partition should be cleared of old files unless you like mysterious events. Your basic OS should be fine, but be aware that some programs will still attempt install files into the "Windows" directory. That means occasionally you should look and see if there any files in your "Windows" directory that need to be copied to the "Windows.001" directory.

i just wanted some fresh reminders on config.sys and autoexec.bat if i wanted to free up some memory say to play privateer,...

Memory management is a pretty in-depth topic that's really beyond the scope of this board (except of course, for game-specific fixes). Your best bet is check with Axcel216 on this topic under "DOS7 Mem" in the left column. Hopefully, your motherboard is compatible with UMBPCI, if not there are some other tools he has listed.

...but why can't i check mem under c:\?

Probably because it doesn't know the memory command is in windows.001\command\ directory. If it's not in the pathway, you have to add it.

Reply 17 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A suggestion: Reinstall Windows 98SE, but don't use any kind of 'express' installation mode, or it won't ask you where you want it to go. Tell it to go in \WINDOWS. Then you're set.

Yes, it’s my fault.