First post, by rtg7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

p1 133 windows 98se
48mb ram
matrox millenium
sb64

To slow down gamespeed when playing wing commander, I use cpukiller, but when it's slowed down, the speed seems to be okay, but it skips frames alot. So I raise it a bit, and runs too fast too play and it still skips frames. Has anyone else experienced this? Anybody recommend another program to use for slowing down cpu speed besides cpukiller?

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, use Dosbox. The latest version (which I don't think is available on sourceforge yet), changes the emulated processor cycles which basically means that very old games run at normal speed. In fact Chopper Commando runs EXACTLY like it did on my 286 back in 1990 whereas beofe it would run so fast you couldn't do anything. This is with the 0.56.3 ver which is unavailable as yet, so try the ver available on sourceforge and if that doesn't work I'll ask and see if I can give ya the 056.3 ver. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can easilly underclock DOSBox by pressing ctrl+F11, so it should be fine, even with v0.56 release 😀. In some games, on my computer, I have speed variations, but all in all, they remain playable.

Reply 4 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I compiled the latest CVS version yesterday with debug enabled and a proper version of ems.cpp. (It won't compile with the CVS version of ems.cpp as it stands now.) Here are the binaries. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.rar
    File size
    229.05 KiB
    Downloads
    446 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. You make a directory to install DOSBox into.
2. You load DOSBox and mount a drive as drive C (or whatever) using the standard DOS "MOUNT" command.
3. Internal use of DOSBox is just as if, well, you were using a DOS command prompt window.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto