VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, so mods feel free to move it to the correct one if it isn't.

The game Wolfenstein 3D has a function for changing the border color. This is the color of the area surrounding the viewport and status bar. Here's an example:

Error_2.png

The dark green area is the color I want to change. My understanding is that the border color function works, but I can't see it in DOSBox. I was told there was a patch for some earlier version of DOSBox (an unofficial patch) that fixes this so I can see the color changes. Is there any chance that this patch is still around somewhere, and that it will work with DOSBox 0.74-3? Or, better yet, is there a chance that an official patch can be made so it will work with the latest version of DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you talking about the "Tab+B" dialog in debug mode?

To the best of my knowledge: that won't change the teal color around the viewport, i.e. what you get when you shrink it down. It'll only change the color of the narrow overscan area which surrounds the active VGA display. The overscan is what DOSBox doesn't render, and that old unofficial patch was made to fix that.

Even with that patch, the only thing you'll get is a narrow band of a different color around what you're already seeing. The greenish teal background around the viewport and status bar would stay just as it is.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 4, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileR wrote on 2020-09-02, 13:05:

Are you talking about the "Tab+B" dialog in debug mode?

To the best of my knowledge: that won't change the teal color around the viewport, i.e. what you get when you shrink it down. It'll only change the color of the narrow overscan area which surrounds the active VGA display. The overscan is what DOSBox doesn't render, and that old unofficial patch was made to fix that.

Even with that patch, the only thing you'll get is a narrow band of a different color around what you're already seeing. The greenish teal background around the viewport and status bar would stay just as it is.

After I posted this I was talking to some of the others in the Wolf3D fugitives discord and they explained the same thing to me. I would still like to see how it works, so if that patch is still around (and still works with the current version of Dosbox) I'd like to try it. Thanks for this explanation though.

Reply 4 of 4, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
held wrote on 2020-09-02, 15:04:

Now this was a head scratcher for me, so the green area is related to DosBox itself ?, and the color was black ?

No, the teal background is part of the game. I was able to effect a color change to it, and found that I had not taken into account the "font" images and other images that have that color as their background, including the status bar. So changing that color is alot more involved than I had originally thought. The overscan is a thin border around the viewport that flashes when BJ suffers damage. The only thing I'd be changing is the color of the flash.