VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by terminalapathy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, my computer does not like death rally at all. i've looked through the posts and saw other people that had similar problems to mine...but now i have a new problem.

if i run it without VDM Sound and with sound off, it runs, but VERY slowly. so i tried running with VDM Sound in hopes of fixing it.

if i turn VESA off in VDM it pops up the DOS window fullscreen that says "Death Rally blah blah...Loading music and effects...", and it fades in and out with the colors that are supposed to be with the game. probably doesn't make much sense, but in the real game when it starts it pops up an apogee logo, and a few others before the game starts. so what mine does is that text is all that's showing, but it's fading in and out with the colors of the logos that are supposed to be displayed.

anyway, if i enable VESA it just hangs up at the "loading music and effects...". I have pretty much all of my system up on my profile, feel free to browse. all my drivers are updated fully.

I am running with the \w option, in case anyone wonders.

i attached a log from VDM to this post, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Filename
    vdms.log.txt
    File size
    5.36 KiB
    Downloads
    363 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
terminalapathy wrote:

saw other people that had similar problems to mine...but now i have a new problem.

Did you read through:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=726

I recently updated it to note the fixPOPF bug. Please note the entry about VESA. I'm not certain if the Radeon 64 DDR VIVO falls into this category.

if i run it without VDM Sound and with sound off, it runs, but VERY slowly.

If you've used the setup program to choose "NONE" and you ran it with the "/w" parameter and it still is running slowly, the problem is not audio-related and VDMSound won't fix that.

...fades in and out with the colors that are supposed to be with the game. probably doesn't make much sense, but in the real game when it starts it pops up an apogee logo, and a few others before the game starts. so what mine does is that text is all that's showing, but it's fading in and out with the colors of the logos that are supposed to be displayed.

That sounds more like a corrupted install. Haven't seen any of these symptoms.

...anyway, if i enable VESA it just hangs up at the "loading music and effects...".

At present, the only thing enabling the "VESA" option does is make your command prompt go full-screen before starting the executable (this is necessary for some titles). Right now, there's no VESA emulation involved.

Reply 2 of 2, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the VDMSound log it looks like the game detected the SB ok and even started playing 1 second or so of sound, but never acknowledged the first interrupt -- looks very much like the PUSHF/CLI/POPF bug, so:

1) Get "Update 1" form VDMSound
2) Run the game with "Run with VDM" (the one *without* the musical note -- see Nicht's thread for reason).

V.