Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody

Processor: Athlon 64 3200
Motherboard: Asus K8V Deluxe
RAM: 1 gig
Video: ATI Radeon X800 256 MB
Sound: Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Alright, from reading the forums I gather that this is a reasonably common problem, but after trying all the things I found I still can't hear the voices. Using VDMS or DosBox I can get music just fine, and the game itself runs fine as well as long as I use one of those two utilities. I can't run it just using the KQ5.bat. I've tried fiddling with the sound options, I've tried the gosierra patcher, I've tried a patched sndblast.drv from Sierra. I might have just not used these in the correct order. The version of the game I have is 8mb, which I assume is the version that has voices. I hope you guys can help me, because I remember this game having very good voice acting.It's very frustrating playing with just music.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, I'm going to assume that you have the CD version, since the floppy version does not have voices. To hear the digital audio the game has to be able to find the audio resource files. The RESOURCE.CFG file must show the path to it. Look for a line in it that says "audio =" and make sure that it points your CD-ROM drive. Also, if you are running it in DOSBox, be sure that you mount your CD in DOSBox and that it has the same drive letter as is in the RESOURCE.CFG file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Goran wrote:

The version of the game I have is 8mb, which I assume is the version that has voices.

Is 8MB enough to store a complete voice pack????? Doesn't sound like it to me - although it may have one or two. Never played KQ5 myself though 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by Goran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I guess I'll have to ask around, see if anybody has the full version. I think I'll hold off playing it until I can get the voices though, I remember them from a long time ago. I appreciate the help though, thanks!