VOGONS

Common searches

Descent 2 Screwed Up!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Arn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a tough problem. When I start some games, the screen is twisted and turned in pink, purple and black colors with this vertical interlaces.. hard to describe..

I started descent 2 know recently, and I thougt I would be able to play it since the first one works.. But it wasn't so easy.. I couldn't see a thing! I played a while with the setup and command lines but I wasn't able to fix it.. I have this with Transport Tycoon and Settlers 2 as I know of.. When descent starts it says something about eregcard, whcih I have no idea of what it is?

I tried to alt+tab to get it to work but in vain.. when I struck alt+enter.. I just minimized it, but when I got back into the game, I hade the menu screwed up on the top of the screen.. I could change the options and such, but I cannot play, I got a screen of like 64x64 😜 I hate it! When I play, there's like 20 small boxes in the top which shows the same..

I've tried NOLFB, VDMSound + Launch Pad to solve this. And DOSBOX don't work.. get some unhandled error or something every time.. I really need you help on this one!

I have a guess that it is my grafic card that does this, Voodoo 3..
I'll try to change drivers and all that, but I don't think that will do it.. I belive that I've tried before.. anyway.. any help is appreciated!

Thanks in Advance 😀

😄

Reply 1 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arn wrote:

When I start some games, the screen is twisted and turned in pink, purple and black colors with this vertical interlaces.. hard to describe..

Well, that's a tough problem alright. Other than buggy drivers or a video card in the process of dying, I can't think of why you would be seeing this.

I started descent 2 know recently, and I thought I would be able to play it since the first one works..

My first thought here is "did you try the Windows version"? They should both be on the same CD.

But it wasn't so easy.. I couldn't see a thing! I played a while with the setup and command lines but I wasn't able to fix it.. I have this with Transport Tycoon and Settlers 2 as I know of..

That sounds like a VESA compatibility issue. VESA under NT/2000/XP doesn't work like it did in DOS/Win9x.

When descent starts it says something about eregcard, ...

That's the "Electronic Registration Card" to register your game. It's irrelevant.

I've tried NOLFB, VDMSound + Launch Pad to solve this.

NOLFB and the game you are running MUST be in the same session as each other. The best fix for this is to create a batch script like this:
--------------------------------------
C:\PATHWAY\NOLFB.COM
C:\PATHWAY\GAMENAME.EXE
--------------------------------------
Save it as a .BAT file with an easy to remember name like GO.BAT, then run VDMSound on that batch script.

And DOSBOX don't work.. get some unhanded error or something every time..

DosBox won't work on ANY game that uses "protected mode" and/or a 486 processor or higher. I believe every game you named falls into one of those categories.

In the future try to limit your posts to one game at a time. Trying to respond to multiple games in a single message thread can get very confusing very quickly.

Reply 2 of 14, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Windows version is also available as a patch on Interplays web site. At least it was last time I checked. If it isn't I think I still have a copy of it here somewhere (it used to be necessary to get it going under Windows 2000 even if it was included on your CD. Another reason why I'm never installing that POS again) which, depending on the size, I can either upload somewhere or attach here.

Another thing you could try GliDOS, I know that works with Descent 2. Trouble is, the demo will only get you to level 2 before the logo pops up and USD$10 is a little too much to ask for just one game. The latter is all IMO by the way, if it works and you feel it worth it then by all means buy it. If nothing else, it'll allow him to continue developing it for just that little bit longer.

Failing that, ask at the Tech Forum over at the DescentBB. A couple of people over there may have had the same problem and know how to help.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 14, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just remember though to keep the Descent (1&2) framerate below 60fps (yes, even on a P2 400. If my P2 400 can go higher than that, yours will too) if you want good joystick/mouse sensitivity. You'll definitely need some kind of source port for that. You'll find some here:

Descent 1:
http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d1/patches/

Descent 2:
http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d2/patches/

I know for a fact that D1X for Windows has a framerate cap since I use it myself but am unsure about D2X since I've never tried it.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 5 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally posted by LSD
Another thing you could try GliDOS, I know that works with Descent 2. Trouble is, the demo will only get you to level 2 before the logo pops up and USD is a little too much to ask for just one game. The latter is all IMO by the way, if it works and you feel it worth it then by all means buy it. If nothing else, it'll allow him to continue developing it for just that little bit longer.

What the hell are you smoking? Most games cost $30-50. $20 if you're lucky, $10 if they are REALLY old or REALLY crappy. Besides, GliDOS works for many, MANY games, and now gets Blood running on Windows XP. How is that not worth a measly $10?!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 14, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

What the hell are you smoking? Most games cost -50. if you're lucky, if they are REALLY old or REALLY crappy. Besides, GliDOS works for many, MANY games, and now gets Blood running on Windows XP. How is that not worth a measly ?!

I really want to know who taught you to read...

Wasurenaide...

Reply 10 of 14, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You see, had he actually read my post properly he would have realised that I wasn't trying to discourage Arn from at least trying GliDOS as a possible solution to the problem. Descent 2 is the only game I own that is on the GliDOS compatible list and I'm perfectly happy to play it without the 3D accelerated visuals. Thats why I consider GliDOS to not be worth USD$10. If GliDOS supported more games or more importantly, I owned more games that it supported then I'd gladly hand over my USD$10 because I'd be getting more value for my money than I'm currently getting. Unlike some others, I in no way disagree with the concept of asking for donations (something I thought I'd made perfectly clear in the past) but since GliDOS is currently of little use to me it hardly seems worth it.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 11 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would have been better if you had explained that in the first place, but I still disagree. A lot. $10 is less than you'll pay for a good meal at a restaurant, and it will provide you with hours and hours of lost fun and enjoyment.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyhow, Arn is a Voodoo3 user. If he uses those hacked Voodoo3 drivers for XP, GliDOS should work fine. Heck, I think even Descent 2 (Glide) would work fine. But it appears he doesn't want to use Glide... hmm... maybe Paul would have some advice for doing that anyhow...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto