VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can someone give me direction how to run the CD version of might and magic world of xeen on CD without having to use a CD player ?

I am in win98 se but using pure DOS

Is there a way to install this game with out using a CD player? and just copying the files into a folder and running it?

What is the common way to run games in pure dos using this method with today software?

Thanks for all your help

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-11-05, 04:45:

If it uses redbook audio, then this is impossible. Or at least, it would require hardware that is not readily available, as in Gotek like Optical Driver Emulator - Is it possible? .

You can probably do it if you run the game from an MS-DOS prompt when Windows 98 is running. In that case you just have to use Daemon Tools or some other virtual drive software, provided you have an adequate sound card.

Reply 2 of 3, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-05, 05:55:
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-11-05, 04:45:

If it uses redbook audio, then this is impossible. Or at least, it would require hardware that is not readily available, as in Gotek like Optical Driver Emulator - Is it possible? .

You can probably do it if you run the game from an MS-DOS prompt when Windows 98 is running. In that case you just have to use Daemon Tools or some other virtual drive software, provided you have an adequate sound card.

daemon tools available for pure dos?

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-11-05, 17:00:

daemon tools available for pure dos?

If that was a solution, I would have mentioned it. While there is something called SHSUCDHD that can mount CD images in DOS, it cannot be used for CD audio.

It is programmatically very simple to play CD audio: a command is sent to the CD-ROM drive, which independently reads the data off the CD (note that nothing else can access the CD-ROM at the same time) and sends it directly to the mixer on the sound card. If the sound data is stored on a hard drive, then whatever other software is running has to be paused while the data is read – and then it has to be mixed with whatever other sound might be playing at the same time. This is not feasible in a single-tasking OS.

You could run DOSBox in pure DOS, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using "pure DOS". And there's ScummVM, but I'm not sure how that handles things.