VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just realized that Betrayal at Krondor is not as speed sensitive as I thought when you use the MT-32. I'm actually playing on my 200MMX without any slowdown settings enabled. It appears to be a General MIDI thing with my X2 daughterboard. Music gets all jacked up and the game gets unstable with GM music, but not so with the MT-32.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-09, 22:35. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I can say is the game is composed for the SC-55 (GM), not the MT-32, so one problem is being traded for another..

I've never had a problem with BaK on DOSBox with GM, though. Never tried with original hardware.

Reply 2 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote on 2020-11-08, 13:32:

All I can say is the game is composed for the SC-55 (GM), not the MT-32, so one problem is being traded for another..

I've never had a problem with BaK on DOSBox with GM, though. Never tried with original hardware.

I don't imagine that you would have a problem in DOSBox since the speed is controlled for in the settings. Maybe it is a function of the MIDI header on the soundcard? I'm using an Audician 32 Plus.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't imagine that you would have a problem in DOSBox since the speed is controlled for in the settings.

That only applies if you use an auto setting, right? I usually have fixed cycles set, since DOSBox seems a poor guesser.