VOGONS

Common searches

Master of Magic and dosbox help?

Topic actions

First post, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to run Master of Magic in XP. Somebody in another thread said dosbox was the way to do it. But MOM won't even install in XP and dosbox doesn't see my CD drive. What should I do?

Reply 1 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tired copying the whole CD to an XP folder, and that got me a little farther. But dosbox doesn't seem to accept my mouse and besides, the first screen of the install is cut off in the middle so even if the mouse was available I wouldn't be able to click the appropriate button.

Reply 2 of 24, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosBOX does not support 486/Protected Mode games. Period. (uh, now. *cough,ahhem,Harekiet* 😉) I'm not sure what your problem is. You say "...MOM won't even install in XP" but there are a bunch of others that have been able to get it to install (and even work) fine in that OS. What is occurring? Does it give you an error? A warning? A black screen? ANYTHING? If you don't tell us the symptoms, we can't help you.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the floppy ver of the game which works fine in Dosbox for me.

It also works in 2K fine but in XP you'll have to remove DOSX for it to load.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get half the installation scren in the dosbox window. The buttons that I need to click are not on the screen. Further, dosbox seems not to recognize my mouse. As soon as I click anywhere inside dosbox, the pointer goes away and doesn't come back until I hit Alt-Tab or Ctl-Escape to get back to XP.

Reply 5 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hit ctrl F10
But I think the game relies on dosbox to draw the cursor and I'm not sure wether that was allready implemted on 0.56
it is in the current CVS

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That gets the mouse pointer back for a moment.

Actually, I do get the mouse long enough to click <Install Game>. It desappears after that.

But since the window is too short to see the buttons that come in the next screen, I'd be stuck even if I had a pointer. Dragging the edge of the window will let me magnify what's on the screen, but dosbox is insisting on a fixed aspect ratio and show no more and no less of the install screen regardless of the size of the window.

Reply 7 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That aspect ratio, BTW is not 4:3. It's almost 4:1. I don't have that problem before I start the install program. It's something about the interaction of dosbox with the program.

Reply 8 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah more installers suffer from that problem
they set 40x25 instead of 80x25 somehow.

You could try to install it from xp and run from dosbox.

Reply 10 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried runing the game without going through the install process. I had already copied the whole CD to directory on my hard drive, so I ran magic.com from that directory. I had already mouted the CD as D in dosbox. But when I ran magic, I got the message

File-> findcd.c, Line-> 56
Could not locate CD

So I think the copy protection (as well as the installer) is incompatable with dosbox.

Reply 12 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Within XP the installer already comes up full screen. But no controls work. No mouse, no keyboard. So I guess the mouse freeze is just a symptom. Sorry I didn't realize that earlier.

The keyboard does work to Ctl-Escape or Alt-Tab out of the cmd window. It's only in the cmd/installer that I'm frozen.

Reply 14 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't tried that. Didn't know about it. But it doesn't work.

Alt-Enter momentarily starts to create a window. Then it kicks me temporarily out of the cmd/installer application altogether. When I go back to the cmd/application 'window' it is still the same stuck full screen.

Reply 16 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But this is really a side issue. If I recall correctly, all the Microprose installer does is copy files. I've copied them manually. The game still won't run because it can't find the CD. (Go up 6 posts). Dosbox has the CD in drive D, but the game running under dosbox doesn't. Unless we can get the copy protection to let me play the game in dosbox, worrying about the installer won't help me.

Last edited by Barking Iguana on 2002-11-29, 12:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Okay I tried somethings.

The install screen is oke in dosbox 0.55 (you still can't do a thing but at least the ratio is allright)

The game can be run in dosbox 0.56 and 0.55. Only in 0.55 you can see the names of the game you save. In 0.56 they exist only the database is not updated. (you can load them if you know where you saved them).

The game is fully playable

I download this game from http://www.the-underdogs.org
at the letter M

Qbix

Ps: 0.56.2 has a working mousepointer in the install although screen is still halved. Guess that will be status of the cvs as well as the vga isn't updated lately.

Reply 19 of 24, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. The downloaded version is much more friendly. The installer runs in XP (though I see what you mean that it doesn't do anything) and the game runs in dosbox. The CD version, which I bought on Ebay is obsolete, I guess.

Anyway thanks Qbix and Snover for getting me going.