VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

a VERY long time ago, i bought the WC3 and did run it flawlessly on my (then) pc without to much issues. Fast forward a number of years and i can't find my CD anymore so i bought the game on GOG, thinking i could play it on my Libretto 110CT.

Of course, as GOG repackages the game with DosBox, i then took the non-dosbox files and moved them over to the HDD on the libretto (c:\games\wc3 directory).

Starting it up with "wc3 -install" it goes through all settings (so SVGA, Soundblaster pro music/audio, etc). Everything works fine so far and sound is playing as it should.

After saving the settings and trying to start the game, one of two (three) things usually happens:

- it tells me that an "exception 13" has occured
or
- it tells me that there's someting wrong with the CD (which i of course do not have since everything is installed on the drive)
(- on rare occations, i get a series of vertical dots to the left of the screen and the rest of the screen remains black).

Is it at all possible to run this game without CD somehow?

Reply 1 of 1, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Answering myself (hopefully for the benefit of others). The game stores the config in c:\wc3 (2 files) and if the game is installed anywhere else, it chrashes as per the initial post. Solution is to move everything into c:\wc3 and start it from there.