VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 41, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2021-01-15, 22:13:
I thought I had fond memories of Megarace with all its FMV glory... just ran it for the first time in over 25 years and it is aw […]
Show full quote

I thought I had fond memories of Megarace with all its FMV glory... just ran it for the first time in over 25 years and it is awful!

Turns out I mis-remembered and confused Screamer with Megarace haha!!

Anyone else wish they never re-ran an old game that you had good memories of and it turned out to be rubbish?

Cheers,
Steve

I love Megarace. I have my old cd and was playing it this past weekend. Great memories and loved replaying it. Its just as I remembered. I also have the game on GOG, but I prefer to play it on my 486.
I also have MR 2 and 3 on GOG, but I have a box copy of MR 2 coming so I can play it on my pentium 1 .

For MR2, me and a friend had a demo of the first race and we played that demo so much. I cant wait to play the full game.

Reply 41 of 41, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-02-15, 04:27:
I would not generalize this though, early 3D games, sometimes maybe... but 90s 2D pixel graphics aged incredibly well I would no […]
Show full quote
dave343 wrote on 2021-02-05, 14:26:

When it comes to nostalgia and old games, people tend to confuse remembering the actual game (compared to anything we have today, the graphics are pretty bad) vs the good memories we created while playing them. The latter of which can never be re-experienced.

I would not generalize this though, early 3D games, sometimes maybe...
but 90s 2D pixel graphics aged incredibly well I would not dare to ever call them "bad", it's just it's very own distinctive style and I love it, and it many instances prefer it to various "remasters" monkey island is a strong example here, the remake just completely changes the artstyle of the original and it kinda loses it's soul with that.
same is true for sound imho, never would I say the MI theme on PC speaker sounds "bad", it just has it's own charm and I love it.

Absolutely.