VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know where I can obtain either a install folder dump, or floppy img dump of Tex Murphy - Mean Streets? I've been wanting to replay it *on my 386 PC, but the only thing I've come across is buying from GOG (which I have already). My 386 PC has the GoTek floppy drive installed, but it's the 1.44MB drive, and besides finding floppy images, or a dump of the installation folder, I can't find out if the game only came on 720kb floppies (Which I don't think my GoTek supports... at least not in it's stock firmware state).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Reply 1 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dave343 wrote on 2021-01-31, 21:04:

Does anyone know where I can obtain either a install folder dump, or floppy img dump of Tex Murphy - Mean Streets? I've been wanting to replay it *on my 386 PC, but the only thing I've come across is buying from GOG (which I have already). My 386 PC has the GoTek floppy drive installed, but it's the 1.44MB drive, and besides finding floppy images, or a dump of the installation folder, I can't find out if the game only came on 720kb floppies (Which I don't think my GoTek supports... at least not in it's stock firmware state).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Mine came on 360k 5 1/4 floppies, AFAICR . I have no idea where they are .

Can't the GOG version be played from hard disk on your 386 ?

Reply 2 of 21, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Install the GOG version on a modern PC. Then delete the subdirectories, dosbox*.conf, GOG*.*, *.pdf, and uninst*.* files.

This should leave you with just over 2MB of files you can copy to your 386, and play.

Reply 3 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-02-01, 01:35:

Install the GOG version on a modern PC. Then delete the subdirectories, dosbox*.conf, GOG*.*, *.pdf, and uninst*.* files.

This should leave you with just over 2MB of files you can copy to your 386, and play.

Oh awesome, I wasn’t aware you could do that with gog games. I’ll try it, thanks 😎

Reply 4 of 21, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS GOG games are just the regular game packaged together with a preconfigured DOSBox.

CD based games may have a CD images included that automounts in DOSBox. You'll need to either burn that to a disk or use virtual CD software to mount them.

Reply 5 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any ideas what could be happening? I basically zipped up the gog folder on my Windows10 PC to copy over. Once I ftp’d the zip file over onto my 386 box, I’m tried to unzip with pkunzip but it’s spitting out these errors.

90543CE5-3DE7-4D38-A4AB-A93CF8EBB02A.jpeg
Filename
90543CE5-3DE7-4D38-A4AB-A93CF8EBB02A.jpeg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be the LFN and/or using a compression method that pkzip doesn't recognize.

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … p-archiver.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … /7zip/7zdecode/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's definitely the long file names. Rename the directory on your source pc to be no more than 8 characters long. Re zip it and copy and transfer again.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 8 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-01, 23:39:

It's definitely the long file names. Rename the directory on your source pc to be no more than 8 characters long. Re zip it and copy and transfer again.

I seem to get the same error after re-zipping the folder as tex1.zip. I'm using Windows 10 built in compression tool eg; ( right clicking on the folder and -> send to text1.zip )

So frustrating! I just need to be able to unzip files, how can this be so difficult 🤣.

Reply 10 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2021-02-02, 05:11:

Just FTP the files over as they are instead of zipping them.

yeah, I know that would probably be easier, but I'd also like to get pkzip, or any other zip utility working on my 386.

Reply 12 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dave343 wrote on 2021-02-02, 01:26:
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-01, 23:39:

I seem to get the same error after re-zipping the folder as tex1.zip. I'm using Windows 10 built in compression tool eg; ( right clicking on the folder and -> send to text1.zip )

So frustrating! I just need to be able to unzip files, how can this be so difficult 🤣.

No.

The directory your game is in on the pc: texmurphymeanstreets/ is far too long ... Rename it to texm, tex1 or similar BEFORE you zip it. The length of the zip file itself is not the issue; it's the file paths INSIDE the zip.

Dos can only support files and directory names with a length of 8 characters, a dot, and then a further 3 characters. Your modern PC can have (effectively) any length, but this is a relatively recent development compared to Dos itself.

Reply 14 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only version of PKUnzip for DOS that understands long file names is 2.50 - anything less than that and it will not know what to do when it encounters an entry with anything other than the standard 8.3 naming convention:

PKZIP 2.50 (released on April 15, 1998) was the first version released for Windows 3.1, 95, NT platforms. DOS version of PKZIP 2.50 was released on 1999-03-01, as its final MS-DOS product. PKZIP 2.50 supported long file names on all builds, and Deflate64 extraction. DCL Implode extraction was supported on non-DOS ports. A new command-line product was introduced in Windows 95, OS/2, UNIX platforms, called "PKZIP Command Line" (later expanded to "PKZIP Server"), which featured new command line syntax.

However, what PKUnzip 2.50 with do with long file names on a non-long file name aware filesystem I don't know.

Edit: We really need to know what version of pkzip/pkunzip is in use.

Edit: You could always try pkunzip -t to test it can read the zip file correctly, as well as pkunzip -v to ensure it can view all of the files contained.

Reply 15 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2021-02-02, 08:28:

I doubt changing the pathname will make any difference, most likely win10's zip output isn't compatible with ancient dos-based pkunzip.

megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-02, 08:47:
The only version of PKUnzip for DOS that understands long file names is 2.50 - anything less than that and it will not know what […]
Show full quote

The only version of PKUnzip for DOS that understands long file names is 2.50 - anything less than that and it will not know what to do when it encounters an entry with anything other than the standard 8.3 naming convention:

PKZIP 2.50 (released on April 15, 1998) was the first version released for Windows 3.1, 95, NT platforms. DOS version of PKZIP 2.50 was released on 1999-03-01, as its final MS-DOS product. PKZIP 2.50 supported long file names on all builds, and Deflate64 extraction. DCL Implode extraction was supported on non-DOS ports. A new command-line product was introduced in Windows 95, OS/2, UNIX platforms, called "PKZIP Command Line" (later expanded to "PKZIP Server"), which featured new command line syntax.

However, what PKUnzip 2.50 with do with long file names on a non-long file name aware filesystem I don't know.

Edit: We really need to know what version of pkzip/pkunzip is in use.

Edit: You could always try pkunzip -t to test it can read the zip file correctly, as well as pkunzip -v to ensure it can view all of the files contained.

I am using PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.04 on my 386 PC.

As per your original advice I did try changing the file/folder name name to "tex1" on the Windows 10 PC before I zipped it. So to re-iterate, on my Windows 10 box, I changed the folder name from texmuprphymeenstreets ->> tex1 and thenI zipped it. But, I'm still get the same error message on my 386 PC using PKZIP 2.04 "I don't know what to do with...."

Now, to give you both some more information that may help pin point the issue: After zipping the folder to tex1.zip (using the built in Windows 10 compression), I then tried Winrar, and used Winrar to do the same, using it's zip software. *nor rar* but .zip format. Winrar gives you the option to compress using .rar or .zip. That as well also gave me the same error on the 386 PC using PKZIP "I don't know what to do with...."

So it seems like PKZIP 2.04 on the 386 has no idea how to handle the .zip file that Windows 10 created, or even Winrar.

One thing I'm going to try although I'm not sure it'll work on my W10 PC, is using PKZIp 2.04 on the Windows 10 PC to zip the folder. That in theory should allow me to use 2.04 on the 386 PC to unzip it. In theory 🤣.

Thanks again for the help!

Reply 16 of 21, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you still need this? I have a copy on 5.25 i can image

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 17 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote on 2021-02-02, 18:04:

Did you still need this? I have a copy on 5.25 i can image

I wouldn't mind having a copy to try if it's not too much trouble, thank you!

Reply 18 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea if its LFN aware or not, but I use Info-ZIP on all my retro PCs instead of PK, and I've never had a problem unzipping something archived on a modern PC.

http://infozip.sourceforge.net/

Reply 19 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-02-02, 19:32:

No idea if its LFN aware or not, but I use Info-ZIP on all my retro PCs instead of PK, and I've never had a problem unzipping something archived on a modern PC.

http://infozip.sourceforge.net/

THANK YOU!! 🙏 Info Zip works awesome.