First post, by enira
Hi, hope this is the right section,
So I am building a modern PC that can handle Windows 10 as well as MS-DOS 6.22. Pinnacle of the experiment would be to get Windows 3.x working.
Currently DOS SHELL works pretty well, and I can do everything I want to with it, but I've been itching for that Windows 3.11.
Hardware (hp dc5800 microtower):
- 5.25" floppy drive (connected through floppy cable)
- 3.5" floppy drive (connected internally to USB, detectable in BIOS and assigned B:, install drive for MS-DOS/Windows)
- SATA 40 GB Intel disk for MS-DOS
- SATA 200 GB Samsung disk for Windows 10
- CD/DVD reader/burner
- Soundblaster CT4810
- Using standard onboard display adaptor
- MS-DOS 6.22 (default installation)
- Tried Windows 3.11 WFWG as well as Windows 3.1 (default installation)
The issue I am experiencing is as follows: Installation works flawless of Windows 3.x but when it drops down to DOS and I want to boot it for the first time by pressing "win", it immediately crashes back to the DOS prompt. I tried win /b but no bootlog.txt seems to be made when starting with "win".
Anyone any idea where I can start troubleshooting this issue?